Iliotibial Band..?

4 messages
29/03/2009 at 10:57

Dear Runners,

I have been training for the Zurich Marathon, which takes place in 4 weeks, and I have suddenly developed an injury. 

Last weekend (Sunday) I completed my first 20 miler with no problems;  I then attempted my normal 7.5 miler on Wednesday but at around 6 miles I had to stop.  I had a severe pain in the side of my left knee.  Anyway I stopped the run and did my usual after-run stretches.  I didn't run again until Friday (two days agao) and to my horror the same thing happened at almost the exact same time. 

I have since self-diagnosed (could be wrongly) it as a problem with my Iliotibial band and have taken measures to hopefully rectify it.  Namely certain stretches on a daily basis, regular icing (not the baking variety) and my wife, very kindly, massages it nightly.  I have also given myself 4-5 days off from running.

However, I am of course scared and perturbed about what will happen after these 4-5 days off?  Will I be able to run the marathan in 4 week's time?  What else should I be doing?  Basically, please help.

Many thanks in advance of any advice no matter how small.

jaggy...    pirate
29/03/2009 at 11:05
I would go and see a good physio if I was in your shoes.
29/03/2009 at 11:07
It'd be almost inpossible to fix it on your own if you have diagnosed it correctly. Get yourself to a physio asap. How much is the Zurich marathon worth to you?
29/03/2009 at 11:55
Ditto above also get a foam roller from physio supplies shops got mine on amazon for £20 and used You Tube (search "ITB foam roller")  to see how to use it. It does hurt but works. Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.