iliotibial band

5 messages
04/10/2002 at 09:26
Dear all,

I am relatively new to running long distances and have committed to running the London Marathon 2003.

A week ago I developed what can only be iliotibial band friction syndrome, caused, I can only deduce, by being overweight and raising my distances too quickly. I have stopped running for a week and my knee feels much better. I am due to see a physio this coming Tuesday but am keen to hear of any other forms of assistance that might get me back on track. E.g.,do Pratt straps really work?

Kindest,

Richard
04/10/2002 at 13:19
Be warned this is not an easy thing to fix. I have been seing a physio for more than a year now and we haven't managed to fix it. I can still only run for 30 minutes before it becomes too painful. I have been given more stretches to do that you could image. Good luck. If you have any sucess, let me know what cured it.
04/10/2002 at 14:33
What surface are you running on? Try running on grass and trail - or mix these with road running. I've found this has helped me most of all - avoid concrete pavements if possible as they are unforgiving.
04/10/2002 at 14:44
I must admit that I had been doing quite a bit of road-running. I will try to get into Richmond park more often for some trail and grass running. Thanks for the advise Braders and Darren.
04/10/2002 at 19:44
Hi All,

(SORE QUADS ONE SIDE ON RUNNING)

Although I have ran 4-5k distances as part of my overall gym-based fitness programme for some years, I have increased my mileage this summer to run my first road 10k race this September with three months more solid training on mixed surfaces over the summer. I ran 48 mins with my speed reduced by the development over the three weeks pre-race of left front of thigh pain (2 hand-breadths below groin), felt mainly on foot impact. This settled after almost two solid weeks of rest, with non-impact cross-training, but comes back after 30 mins of running, and I cant seem to shake it off. Does this sound like DOMS in my quads? Should I rest up even more? Did I up my mileage too suddenly at age 43?( I maxed out at about 35 miles a week). I know this is small beer for experienced runners!

Regards,
Alan

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.