Injured foot with 3 weeks to go before the big day ekkk!?

Sore foot - 3 weeks before the Cambs Marathon

4 messages
07/02/2014 at 23:39
Hi there I was wondering if anyone could advised me on what to do! Iv been training for the Cambridge marathon which is literally 3 weeks away now! All my training has gone smoothly & have put lots of hard work into trying to get a nice Pb... All my long runs have been clocked - 17/ 20/18/ 24 miles & on my last long run I felt a twinge on the sole of my foot ( arch area ) I had already warmed up & was on about mile 10 of my 24 miles ... being on a mission with the distance not so much speed I carried on & the discomfort did'nt really get in the way, apart from a pit stop break I hobbled to get going again for a min or so & carried on as normal. I know this was stupid thinking back now & should of cut the run short! Anyways was quite uncomfy to walk on foot after the run & the following day especially first thing in the am! It eased off during the day! Iv iced and taken ibrofen which seems to help. I rested for 3 days & tried another run yesterday ( thurs) with fingers crossed the whole way! I clocked 13 miles in a fast pace & foot did not seem to hurt or get in the way only if I stopped & started due to flooding in the road etc. felt great to be back running though today my foot is so sore and hobbling again like an old lady : (( I don't want to loose my fitness after wrking so hard for this marathon? But also don't want to train on a damaged foot & make the niggle/ injury worse!? The main goal is to take part on race day comfortably & keep sane in the process of not running? Any advise would be much appreciated? Sorry to run on excuse the pun! Anna xxx
08/02/2014 at 00:25

It's three weeks you should be starting to taper by now, so rest ice, and more rest. If you can do a few gentle runs then great, but you have built up the fitness, you need to do nowhere near as much to maintain it, if you can't run maybe a bit of cycling, or gym work, , but if all else fails, just rest it for the three weeks and see how the marathon goes.

Frankly look on it as a way of enforcing your taper, you will be so fresh come marathon day.

also if you can afford it see a physio. 

Edited: 08/02/2014 at 00:27
10/02/2014 at 19:48
Hey booktrunk thanks so much for your advise much appreciated! I will aim to rest much more in the run up & have been cycling lots. I managed a run yesterday & it only seemed to hurt when I was going downhill. Feeling more positive and know each day is closer to feeling repaired & ready ! Will certainly enjoy the taper ????
10/02/2014 at 20:13

I would say don't attempt to run a marathon with a suspect injury. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.