Injury prevention exercises

They're soooo boring!

4 messages
13/06/2007 at 13:12
I'm having some motivation troubles: not with running itself, but with all the stuff I have to do to prevent a recurrence of my old injuries. I go to a Pilates class once a week and I'm meant to practise it every day, plus various stretching and strengthening things suggested by my physio. But it's all so mind-meltingly dull, and takes up almost as much time as the running. Does anyone else feel this or have any tips?
13/06/2007 at 14:06
I have the same prob, I stretch and do my specific exercises for half an hour, I run for an hour, then stretch again for another half hour. On days I don't run, I stretch and do my exercises of an evening in front of the telly, but I have no tips I'm afraid.
13/06/2007 at 14:30
No tips tinky but I know exactly how you feel. Everytime I pick up a new injury I get a new set of stretches and exercises to do. If it keeps up like this, in 10 years time I'll have to give up work to get time for them all!!
13/06/2007 at 15:57
I think I am lucky in that I have been doing yoga on and off for the last 20 years and more recently pilates. I always stretch after a run, never before. I just jog to warm up for 5-10 min before starting if I am going to do a speed or hill session.

I would suggest that it is not worth skimping on the stretching/mobility stuff especially if it has been recommended because of an injury.

I know people younger than me (I'm 43) who have not included stretching in their routines who now spend far more time 'on the bench' due to injury than me.
And I believe this is a consequence of them having not stretched correctly after exercise.

So no tips I'm afraid, just a warning :-) sorry.

If you regard being fit and health as including maintaining flexibility and suppleness then you should find it less of a chore.

Colin

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.