Is pea protein powder hard on your liver?

4 messages
01/03/2012 at 17:00

Hello friends,

I have heard that protein powders can be hard on your liver. I recently had my gallbladder removed, so I want to keep my liver as healthy as possible.

Regards

Reid Wilson

02/03/2012 at 04:02

Everything is fine as long as it is in moderation, I'd imagine with any protein powder as its not a natrallyfound food (I know the pea is but it doesn't really grow in a powder form!) so as a result its going to require your body is under some sort of pressure to deal with it and your liver will no doubt have some work to do.

I'd speak to your doctor or ask to speak to a nurse of even better a medical dietition, you'd probably be fine having the pea protein here and there but if you do eat it every day or more then once a day then maybe think about getting some advice before you make any choices.

cougie    pirate
02/03/2012 at 12:27
Whatever the hell it is - I'd not use it ? What's wrong with normal food ?
14/03/2012 at 09:04
It seems that pea protein powder is an alternative for people that want to take protein supplements but have a problem with soy or dairy products. So if you are in this class then it seems a reasonable choice. But I agree with Cougie as to why you want a protein supplement in the first place. Secondly I agree with Jennn about not trusting what you think could be a genuine health isue to net advice. Thirdly I would add that the gall bladder is associated with digestion of fat, so protein that is low in fat is less of a problem than one higher in fat, such as a high meat diet.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.