Is this lactate??

6 messages
06/12/2012 at 17:46

Hi all

I am still a fairly new runner.  When I have been jogging for a couple of minutes my calf muscles start burning and it gets so bad I have to slow to a walk for a minute or two and then I can jog again... and so on. Is this lactate building up in my calf muscles?

If so should I "run through it with gritted teeth" until it clears? Will it clear? Or should I carry on having walk breaks until i can run further and further each time? I am really not sure what I should be doing to help this problem, and I can't seem to find a proper answer on here yet!! Thanks for any advice )

07/12/2012 at 12:19

it is very unlikely to be lactate building up if you have been jogging a couple of minutes (but then one persons jogging is another persons sprinting!). I would look for some dynamic stretching exercises that involve the calf muscles and see if this helps. Carry them out before you start your run. Or you could try a foam roller on the calves to help stretch out the muscles

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 12:21
07/12/2012 at 13:10

Thanks Also! To be honest I don't strech at all before a run because so many people say that walking is the best was to warm up and that you shouldn't strech a cold muscle... however, in this month's RW mag I did see an article saying many runners walk/jog a few mins and then stop to strech leg muscles before carrying on and upping their pace... so I think I will try that, walk for 5 mins like I do and then stop and strech my calf muscles before I start jogging!! Thanks again

07/12/2012 at 14:27

To be honest, I don't stretch, unless I suspect things are getting a bit tight. If you do stretch before walking / running, have a search for dynamic stretching. The traditional static stretches are best left for warmed up muscles

07/12/2012 at 16:02

Ok will do! Thanks

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 16:02
18/12/2012 at 19:18

Just a quick update - I have started streching before I run, and today I decided to try rolling my calfs with a rolling pin before my run and the difference was amazing! My calf muscles did not burn at all and I was able to run a lot more than I usually would have, so I think I have a result!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.