IT band and backache

10 messages
23/05/2009 at 18:39

Just a quick question for you all

Can tight IT bands cause soreness/stiffness in the lower back area

Thanks

Edited: 24/05/2009 at 10:48
24/05/2009 at 12:58
Not sure but I get lower back pain when I get muscles knot up in my glutes.  I find sitting on a tennis ball helps, Usually happens every couple of months, but I think anything not right in that area will pull and can cause lower back ache.
24/05/2009 at 13:06
Johneeeboy, indirectly yes. Tight ITB can result in imbalances in hip rotators > glutes > lower back.
24/05/2009 at 13:13
or other way round too, lower back issues can lead to problems in hips/glutes and therefore it band. Trick is to find where it all starts from. Do you have a foam roller? Give your it bands and glutes a good going over and see if that helps the lower back.  
24/05/2009 at 19:55

Thanks for your replies

I do have a foam roller Fikalina, which I use daily.

I sometimes get a stiff back the day after a long run.I normally do some gentle stretching,going through everything top to toe and then do some work with the roller and the backache goes.Pretty much instantly.

Maybe I should try the roller on my glutes.

Im going to get a sports massage in the next week.......how long would you advise waiting before going for a run after the massage?

24/05/2009 at 20:57

yep use that roller on your glutes and piriformis

leave a day after a sports massage if it's a deep one

24/05/2009 at 21:10
Thanks Siance
OJO
27/05/2009 at 18:04

Hello, just piggybacking on this if you don't mind

How do you use your foam roller on your glutes and piriformis. I've recently got one to use on my ITB and for stability core work, but have not figured how to get to other bits with it.

27/05/2009 at 18:36

OJO, i had a really useful link to some foam roller exercises but it's got lost or maybe i didn't bookmark it...

Suggest you have a look here at 2.50 for some ideas.

OJO
28/05/2009 at 10:17
Oh thanks very much Siance

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.