ITBS (illitorial Band Syndrome) - Injury

ITBS injury and recovery advice

21 to 26 of 26 messages
14/12/2012 at 14:39

"Would rest from running also include staying away from cycling in your opinion?"

I am no expert. My experience was total rest - no cycling or any working the legs. I suppose if someone wants to try cycling and they feel nothing in the ITB then maybe cycling is OK to keep the fitness level. But I cannot imagine that cycling will not be working the ITB too. So what I did was total rest. 

14/12/2012 at 23:26
I've suffered with ITBS a few times, and has generally been down to hip/glute function, with the main pain being the friction at the knee. Rest for me means no running. Rowing is good for me, and eliptical trainers are usually ok. I've steered clear of cycling as it is an activity that can lead to ITBS.
17/12/2012 at 12:06

How did you guys know when to stop resting it?

17/12/2012 at 16:42

I have had issues with ITBS over the past 6 months....I found stretching and massage to help the most. I have been getting some hip niggles again, which I wondered was related - knees are fine now.

17/12/2012 at 22:43

Seems I do not have ITBS after all. Physio pointed out the muscle which i have inflamed/pulled - looking at a diagram it seems to be the peroneus longus muscle. I can continue to run thank god - apparently it wont get better until I take a bit of a break from running which I will do after the marathon in April. She said I am fine to run as long as the pain does not get worse during running - it does not. It actually feels better during running.

18/12/2012 at 08:58

Thats great Khanivore - many congrats - for me, the Patt strap arrived and it works to an extent - ended up doing 8 miles very slowly and the knee seems to feel all the better for it - so will continue taking things easy and doing the exercises from the link on pg 1 and hit the training proper in the new year - good luck all!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.