ITBS

5 messages
17/04/2013 at 09:06

Hi All,

I know this has been covered a million times but I seem to have ITBS. I'm running the Rat Race dirty weekend on May 11th. I've been training since January and I've completed a few 15 mile runs. I've been doing the stretches and the strength exercises for the glutes, hip abductors etc. I took a week off and went for my first run last night. I couldn't get further than 4 miles without the pain coming back.

I'm getting a bit concerned now, this is my first event and I've been doing pretty well in training until now. I've also raised £250 for Cancer Research so I don't want to let anyone down.

The race is 20 miles and 200 obstacles and I'm a bit unsure what to do. Do I take a couple of weeks off running and keep up the strength and stretching exercises or should I incorporate short runs and try to build them up? What would you do?

Thanks

17/04/2013 at 22:12

I use a foam roller and when my ITB issues were bad I used it 3 times a day and it cleared up within a few weeks. I also practise the 'clam' pilates move (youtube it).

You could also try K tape and consider shoes, gait analysis etc to give uou a clearer idea of what it is - have you had a formal diagnsois from a professional and is it worth it, rather than thinking that's what you have when you may be wrong (with all due respect of course!).

Good luck I hope it clears up enough for you to enjoy the run - I'd love to do one!!

18/04/2013 at 11:26

I am going to get booked in at a local physio. I'm hoping they'll analyse my gait and give me some advice. At this point I'd do anything to be pain free on race day.

19/04/2013 at 11:36

I had a problem with my ITB last January. It was at the outside of my knees. I used a stretch from Running Well and that cleared it up a treat. Use that now pre-runs and I've *touches wood* not had a problem since.

22/04/2013 at 13:13

Well I went to the physio. Thought I better get a professional oppinion. Weak TFL  and glutes in my case so with some stretches and strength stuff (mostly what I've been doing with a couple of extra exercises) I should be ok. Just have to start of with low mileage and build up again. I really recommend going to see somebody if anyone is having problems, if nothing else it put my mind at easy and gave me a clear idea of how to sort it out and continue training.

I'm going to start off with a 3 mile run tonight and try to build it back up to a long run of 15 or so if I can over the next 2.5 weeks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.