Its over. Archilles pain. cant run no more

Now what?

1 to 20 of 57 messages
10/06/2014 at 18:26

Any advice is welcomed. been running for 4 years which has helped me transform my life for the better. had archilles pain in right foot 2 years next Febuary and pain in the left for about 5 mnths. Been running through the pain and i am unable to do it any more. cant run no distances and having to keep stopping. just wasting my time. thinking about switching to cycling which i already do but let it take place of running. really depressed not been able to run. today was my last attempt. to painful. ive read all about this injury. yet i cant get it to heal. 

10/06/2014 at 18:52

Time to see a physio then.

We can't diagnose you over the internet.

10/06/2014 at 20:22

As above:  get thee to a physio.  In the meantime though, what exercises/stretches are you doing for the achilles pain?

10/06/2014 at 20:31

hi, I'm doing eccentric heel dips twice a day, icing and having days off running. i admit im more than likely not doing enough icing and keeping the heel dips going. gets boring  cos I'm not not seeing much results. yes i know it takes time but damn. thats my point. There not getting better. i feel like i have to quit running for at least 3 mnths and keep the heel dips ect going

10/06/2014 at 21:33
And your logic for this treatment !
10/06/2014 at 21:47

google

Edited: 10/06/2014 at 21:48
10/06/2014 at 21:52

I am guessing his logic is Achilles + Alfredsson heel drop protocol = Recovery

My observation is that Alfredsson's trials were based on achillies Tendinopothy where THE PATIENT WAS NOT RUNNING DURING THE REHABILITATION STAGE.

The heel drop strengthening had a high success rate in patients with mid tendon damage, and low success rates for patients where the pain was close to the heel attachment. Something along those lines.

My approach here would be to see your gp so you get this on record. Then onto physio to confirm.

Physio can then give you a load of treatments that have little effect, meanwhile you stopped running and healing takes place.

And if the friction massage, massage, ultrasound, dry needling, graston technique, night splint, stretching, not stretching, heel drops, acupuncture etc, etc doesn't work, the you might get lucky and have plasma injections or even surgery.

10/06/2014 at 21:57

yes mine is mid tendon and yes i still ran. so go see my doctor and stop running

10/06/2014 at 22:03
Ah Dr Google
10/06/2014 at 22:14

Over the last few years I've clung on to Heel Drops as it is one of the few treatments that was peer reviewed. Now my current physio is saying to do calf raises as "things have moved on " since Alfredsons heel drops. I've got no idea where this came from, and Dr Google is confused on the matter.

bzimage - if you see a physio, let us know their thinking.

10/06/2014 at 22:29
Also-ran will do. Forgot today I also lift weights. Been doing calf raises for 5 mnths . So no real help there. I think the dead lifts are not helping
11/06/2014 at 08:17

I've had achilles problems - I recently had a mild re-ocurrence, so basically almost stopped running and just went to the gym instead to strengthen all the muscles in the legs, glutes mainly (donkey kicks, leg presses, single leg dips with dumbbells, lunges with dumbbells), but quads and hamstrings also.

I've avoided aggravating the lower leg and achilles too much by minimizing any calf-specific exercises, just giving those parts of the leg as much rest as possible. My physio suggested my achilles/soleus problems may be caused by weak glutes, so I've concentrated on strengthening the glutes and given the achilles time to recover.

Also doing high intensity interval training on a bike in the gym twice a week. I went for a run on Sunday and my main problem leg appears to be almost sorted, still a bit stiff in the other achilles, but getting there. I seem to be as aerobically fit as before, due to the high intensity bike intervals.

It's the first time I've stopped running to strengthen my legs while getting over achilles problems, based on my experience I would recommend it.

11/06/2014 at 08:33

Its a fact of life with achilles problems, that its only when the victim finally stops pissing about (years sometimes) and gives up completely they it heal.

Over use injuries are like that. They don't appreciate further use.

I've had achilles problems twice in 25 years of running. Same process of recovery: Note how long it takes for the pain to go (3 months) then double it before running again. And then only at a starter level.

11/06/2014 at 08:40

bzimage, I'm suffering at the moment and was given those heel lifts but I don't really feel much progress is being made.  That's not strictly true; I may have a relatively good 2 or 3 days but then it comes back. 

As well as the physio and the other things people have mentioned, have you tried a podiatrist?  I was referred to a podiatrist who gave me some insoles (I was expecting heel inserts, but he reckoned the ball of my foot needed lowering slightly) so I'm trying those in all my shoes as instructed but again it's very slow progress.  Good luck.

22/06/2014 at 09:46

I've had it on and off and Middle Aged Runner's post is on the money. I'd also add that one thing I found helpful during a particularly persistent bout was laser therapy, so if you can find a physio that does it, give it a shot.

22/06/2014 at 20:06

I've been through the Achilles misery too and would agree with Middle Aged Runner. In my case my injury was aggravated by walking so it took a long time to heal (4 years). In my case a slightly shorter leg and more supinating left foot was part of the problem, but strengthening the glutes and hams seems to have helped. I've also changed my running style to avoid heel striking, land on the mid foot and run in a more forward position (I tended to run with a slight back lean). Not out of the woods yet, but infinitely better. Good luck.

23/06/2014 at 08:47

Eccentric, concentric, reactive, degenerative tendons....the words and explanations are endless, as are the views and models of care from a variety of practitioners. It's not cool, but it's what (unfortunately) happens.

Common sense must prevail.

If running is making you worse, then you have to stop. You need to then understand what is it about your running that is causing your Achilles to break down - and there are lots of variables.

This is the cause, without knowing this, you're an ex-runner.......

23/06/2014 at 12:31

Mercedes has mentioned above about changing running style and landing mid-foot, which I agree will help with achilles problems - strengthening the upper legs, in my experience, will help with driving forward more efficiently as you run, particularly as you pick the pace up - my knees seem to come up higher now and it seems more natural to automatically land mid-foot when my feet come back down (I noticed this effect a while back when I was just doing walking lunges, the extra gym work on the upper legs has helped further I think).

Also, I changed from a more clunky support shoe, which I don't think I needed really, to some lighter New Balance shoes with a lower heel-to-toe drop, and that helps to land more mid-foot as well.

The conclusion this leads to is, as you get older anyway, strengthening the legs with gym work, or at least somehow with dumbbells in the house, will make it easier to run more efficiently, faster and help to prevent or reduce the severity of injuries. I have eventually got the message after years of just running and not doing anything else.

23/06/2014 at 13:40

Man-up, get a grip, and run slower for a while

24/06/2014 at 14:45

I might as well just have given my money to Dr Paddy over the years as to another practioner. Luckily for me I am being treated privately this time around so I'm not sweating over the money being shelled out on various treatments. I did see if Dr Paddy was on the list of approved practioners for the healthcare scheme, but alas not.

1 to 20 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.