JOIN ME ON THE WAGON!

kicking the alcohol habit

81 to 100 of 14,647 messages
15/02/2006 at 14:45
Hi Bunbury

I think everyone is fine - Gaz is on the 'giving up the booze' ' thread as is PH. I'm not sure about Fat Fyse but I would hope she would join this tread again.

Laurac popped her head above the radar on the other thread and i think she is doing fine.

I'm still abstaining although the wine rack is getting fuller and fuller (every time my other half goes to the supermarket) no temptation to big yet though.

Look after yourself.

J

15/02/2006 at 16:45
Hi everybody

actually been busy today! hoep we are all still on the wagon-its beem a week and a half ( a long while for me) got a boat party saturday-true test! do feel a lot better at the moment....it IS a positive thing and hopefull itll get easier??? you are right jammie-nothing positive has really happened to me when drunk either-thats depressing to think about, but i cant think of an experience where drink would have improved the situation somewhat.

jammie-dont do it! i cant have wine in the house or in fact any drink...actually thats a lie as my housemate has a stock-but if i know its his then i dont touch it-and also its whiskey and i dont drink it (thats all i dont drink...)

back is improving slightly, seeing another physio this week-probably shouldnt be running but cant not!
15/02/2006 at 18:30
Hi all. Still here JD. I work all over the weekend through till Tuesday on night shifts, but I have to confess to having two glasses of wine on valentines night!

Made me feel better about not being at a romantic restaurant but must admit, felt a bit guilty catching up with this thread.

Sorry guys.

PMSL at JDs run down of thread participants though!!
15/02/2006 at 21:39
Hi Fat Fyes - welcome back to the fold, we've missed you.

I don't think a couple of glasses are too bad - was hubby treating you for 'keeping him busy'? It was a plan even if it didn't work.
16/02/2006 at 11:33
Hi all - good morning hope you are all well and not suffering hangovers.

Went out for my first alcohol free curry last night. Now that's an experience I can tick off my list. Diet Cola isn't something I recomend but sparkling mineral water although refeshing leaves your taste buds open to asalt.

All were drinking except a friend who was driving ( chose lemonade - jury's out on that one) everyone remarked that they never thought they'd see the day - the joke was wearing a little thin after a couple of hours.

Anyway - Gaz you can flitter between both threads like a social butterfly if you want - I'm sure nobody minds - I'm glad to see your doing well even if you maybe dabbling with knitting talk.

Laurac is it really only less than two weeks since you started this tread?I think after this weekend it will get easier - it did for me. (although other than mineral water I have yet to find my alcohol free tipple of choice - maybe that's what made me drink in the first place - (oh my God I'm thinking of Shiraz and it's only 11.30 AM))

More coffee needed.

16/02/2006 at 11:38
Cranberry juice is fab. It has a "bite" not unlike wine, it isn't too sweet so you don't feel sick after the third one, and it is surprisingly good with a curry (and cools your mouth to boot). Also loaded with vit C and, for the girlies, helps ward off Cystitis!

Thanks to Egglet for getting me hooked on the stuff.

My name is Nessie, and I'm a Cranberryholic.
16/02/2006 at 11:43
Well done everyone. :D I'm really glad everyone's doing so well.

Jammie - I remember the first alcohol-free curry. It ain't easy! Well done on neither lapsing nor thumping one of your mates - I know the feeling....

Fat Fyes - you had two glasses of wine, but you didn't have three glasses, or twelve... Everyone loses their balance a bit occasionally: look at the positive side of it. :)

Jammie's got me worried now. I hope I don't sound all evangelical.

Peace,

Bunbury.
16/02/2006 at 11:45
nessie if thats all you are then youre laughing!!

i hate sparkling water...that taste-yuck!

i have been getting those comments-"fancy that - you not drinking!" but i tell them thats precisely WHY im not drinking because i am always paraletic...really veered towards the wine last night as was fed up...but didnt do it....and i too woke up really needing a drink...i could even got o the pub now...the power of the brain to tell you that you NEED a drink....!

fat fyes...thats fine...a couple of glasses with a nice meal is ok...if you can stop at that BUT GET BACK ON THE WAGON NOW! ha, only joking.

jammie-started this thread a week and a half ago i think...

and there for me there is no alcohol substitute that make you feel like booze does...but then hot chocolate doesnt give you the hangover and all the negatives too..i find too much diet coke makes me too hyper too....although that may be better than hammered!
16/02/2006 at 11:48
Laura - well done on sticking to it last night.
16/02/2006 at 11:48
I'm on 12 bottles of san pellegrino a week which I buy in bulk from the corner shop - next time I'll look out for the Cranberry stuff. Is it legal?

Blokes can get cystitis too! I'm into equal opportunities when it comes down to inflammation of the urinary bladder.
16/02/2006 at 11:57
Hi Bunbury - every time I might think your evangelical I look at the evil piccy of Side Show Bob and it scares me.

What you've said on the thread makes a lot of sense and made me realise that people live without drink in their lives from day to day (and that people drink and don't drink for different reasons.)

Anyway - Bunbury carry on with trying to convert us :-)
16/02/2006 at 14:15
Aha, Sideshow Bob... There is a resemblance: I too have a slightly gingery white-boy afro, though am sadly lacking the tasteful yellow skin and enormous feet.

The last thing I want to do is come across as a self-righteous ex-drinker: people like that serve no purpose. Quite apart from anything else, I wouldn't say I was entirely out of the woods yet. Also I know that I got to this point with a lot of help, and I'd like to pass on the favour to someone else.

This is in danger of decending into an incoherent burble. I'll be off now.

Peace,

Bunbury.

PS - Try lime and soda. Stir it first though.
16/02/2006 at 15:13
Actually finding this scaringly hard. I would be fine if the bottle of wine wasn't there open all the time.

Hubby was really nice to me last night...found out it's because he's just taken on another loan to pay off more credit card debt. He only spends his money on cigarettes and booze and he has £500+ a month to spend on what he likes as it is. Worked out that 40 Bensons per day = £300 per month and 3 bottles of wine per day =£450 per month. Really sad reason for being in debt don't you think.

Think my hubby's excessive habits have been overshadowing my growing use of alcohol though. Glad I've realised that before its out of control.

Banbury: You do not come across as self-righteous AT ALL. It's nice to see proof that it can be done. And I like lime and soda too (cranberry has loads of calories in it)

JD: Freedom for all sexes to get UTI's!!! hoorah.

Hi Ness and Laura (ok back on the wagon)

I'm getting quite fond of you lot (my god a compliment not said under the influence of alcohol, thats something I don't do often!!)

:/
16/02/2006 at 15:24
This thread and the givign up booze one is having an adverse effect-- all i am thinking about is having a nice glass of wine when i get in from the gym...its like a loop in ym head...do i just have one...or stick to my plan as i said and see whether i have the self control not to have one???Argh!!! i dont want to as i know i will feel like ive let myself down and have to admit to youa ll that ive done it...i was feeling loads better at the weekend now i am gagging...is it a physical thing or just my brain telling me i need one?

nessie-thanks.

bunbury-evangelical? not at all! but lime and soda+vodka!!

jammie (and all) isnt is funny that some people never drink at all (ie. in countries where its not permitted) and my mum never drinks-so why am i so obsessed?!!

fat fyes-your husband is naughty!!thats putting it mildly. 40 bensons a day?
16/02/2006 at 15:55
Crikey FF - buy a tazer and zap him everytime he lights up

16/02/2006 at 15:58
FF - tell me where you live and I'll zap him for £200 a month
16/02/2006 at 16:59
pmsl. Just been for a run! Shall I set up a thread called FF's Slag her husband off thread!!

Might take you up on that though JD.
16/02/2006 at 17:02
I'll help!

I was thinking about this though-its not my friends/whichever boyfriend it happens to be...who encourage me to drink...im usually the ring leader!!

so i hope i will be checking in tomorrow NOT having had a glass of wine...off to gym...
16/02/2006 at 17:05
Just annoys me that we pay so much money in income tax, council tax etc and then theres that extra tax on petrol and fags and booze!

Fact is, we live in quite a nice house, but if that money was saved each month my mortgage could be paid by the time I'm 45, or we could live in a flippin mansion (kinda anyway). But no, we'd rather spend it ruining our lungs and getting sh*t faced every night....its so wrong!

If I could give up smoking whilst he still smoked then I can give up drink whilst he still drinks!

16/02/2006 at 17:37
Here here FF. Good Luck - I've noticed the money I've saved over the last couple of months - a £6 - £7 bottle a night and a couple of blowouts at the weekend does add up.

Worst thing was when pissed money lost all value -(no wonder my friends want me to start drinking again!) and it would make a hangover much worse knowing you'd spent a f***ing fortune to get that way and remember very little.

Stay strong Laurac.. it's your B***** fault we're all on this thread.

81 to 100 of 14,647 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.