Just diagnosed with High Blood Pressure

21 to 30 of 30 messages
06/02/2014 at 20:00

I don't have high BP as such but I monitor my own now I am very old. I find (and possibly just me as I am no medic) that running regular short distances at mid pace combined with drinking much more water and taking less fats and salt will knock a couple of pounds of my weight and drop my BP.

06/02/2014 at 20:59

Yes, shaz...your doctor will start with blood tests to check other possible underlying causes (about 10 per cent of cases). There's good infornation on the blood pressure uk website.

try not to worry much...it's a pretty common condition and you're lucky its being picked up!

06/02/2014 at 22:03

I have high blood pressure. Running hasn't made it go down much, but hey I'm still a lot healthier.

so I have high BP. I take 2 tablets and get on with my life no biggie. 

My doc was quite pessimistic when I asked about getting fitter, and dieting and getting off the tablets, he was  very much once you start them you are usually on them for a long time. I have lost six stone can run a very very slow 50m ultra. When I try not taking the tablets and taking my own blood pressure within 3 days it's high again. 

Edited: 06/02/2014 at 22:33
07/02/2014 at 08:50

underlying high BP is a life-long condition. no two ways about it, unfortunately. but it is manageable. no biggie, indeed.

50m ultra is impressive, however long it takes!

07/02/2014 at 09:31

50m is not that impressive really, but I suppose it's all relative.   I'm hoping that with training, booktrunk can soon work up to 100m, 400m and even up to a full kilometre by the summer.

I'm a white coat man when it comes to BP.  Was often above the 145/90 mark... sometimes up to 160/100....   but at home, I could easily be sub 135/85... even sub 120/80. But the doctors never saw those!  I got one of those ambulatory machines from the docs for 24hrs (which unlike an earlier contributor, I found perfectly comfortable) - and the results were like I got at home, so I was told to go away and worry no more.

It still concerns me a bit though!  One GP... who seemed to be knowledgable, once told me that statistically,, if you show 'white coat syndrome'...  you can be OK now, but you have a high chance that you'll end up with genuine high blood pressure sooner or later.

Edited: 07/02/2014 at 09:37
07/02/2014 at 10:09

NN: Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm really hoping to double it over the next year. 

23/04/2014 at 18:04

Just found this post, have entered the Paris marathon and need a docs certificate to enter. Have got a place also! Has anyone had any issues getting a docs certificate for marathons with high blood pressure? I have been taking Amlodipine and Ramipril also, hate taking them, but they are definately bringing the BP right down, 

23/04/2014 at 18:15

Hi Ian

they shouldn't give you a certificate if the BP is too high and not under control because this is potentially dangerous and you simply shouldn't run. in my case, the heart muscle had actually slightly enlarged because of the extra strain the undiagnosed high bP was putting on it. but as soon as the BP was controlled, the docs were happy to give the all clear, telling me the muscle would slowly revert to normal size. in terms of the medication, even once you're ok to run again they need to keep you under review, check kidney function etc. it's all sortable, but don't put yourself at risk for the sake of a month or two off running.

and the drugs don't seem to have made any difference to me...i'm running strong at the moment. so have patience and good luck!

23/04/2014 at 18:30

Hi Baldbloke, 

this sounds exactly the same issues as myself. Had the enlarged heart muscle spiel also, had a scan which showed up, was told the same thing that it will decrease with time on the medication. I have been laying off the running for about 6 months and I am now going to get back into it with some gentle gym work and build it up again. Have just put a call in to the docs about the certificate for Paris. Wont pay up the entrance fee just yet unless they give me the go ahead. They did seem to think that it would be good to start training again which is good news. 

24/04/2014 at 09:57

sounds to me like you still need the docs to have a quick look and check the BP is now firmly down...then you can go for it running-wise as much as you like. My understanding is that gym work is actually more dangerous than light running/swimming.. and make sure your docs continue to do those regular checks on renal function etc...

as said earlier in this forum, high BP is completely manageable and shouldn't hold back your running...and it's good news that it's been spotted!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.