Keeping body fat low during injury?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
18/01/2013 at 10:32

Heres a good website for fat loss!

RicF, nice work, nice medals!

...think i'd rather have my 1/2 inch lard jelly covered six pack and visible muscles though... fnar!

18/01/2013 at 10:46
Yeah, Rik respect for the medals. Your 6% body fat would put you in that league.
18/01/2013 at 10:58

Cheers guys.

Though a bit sneaky of me having those up my sleeve.

My lad who's 16 with a BMI of 15/16 and full six-pack jokingly calls me a fat ba....rd.

I think he's joking

18/01/2013 at 11:30

BMI of 15/16?!  jesus!

I'm really struggling to get down to 23 bmi, when I have an extra glass of water on top of my meal of water and thin air I put on weight! lol

18/01/2013 at 14:27

Same here L.

I've posted on another thread how I went on holiday for 17 days and returned weighing 17lb's heavier.

BMI 21.6 at the moment. Training 90 mins/day average.

Maintain weight on 1600kcal/day when not training.

Older brother has a BMI of 38! 

19/01/2013 at 13:02

I'm currently at my lowest weight since I was 16, last week I was at my lowest since 9! But I put back on 2.5lb

Yes I was over 11st at 9 years old. Though in my defence I was also about 5' 4"

Regardless of how far I run per day, roughly 1 hr a day on average (over 5 days), I'm trying to stick to 2000 kcals a day, hard...

19/01/2013 at 13:26

L,

A natural survivors metabolism.

In the past; in some societies, an ability to stack on weight and keep it there like yours would have resulted in you being made the King!

20/01/2013 at 00:59

Pmsl! Yes I know about the survival theory and passing genes on that retain weight, keeping you alive during the long winters, and it's no doubt true, some of us could easilly feed ourselves up enough in the spring and summer to last on water all winter.

As for being made king, I had a vision of myself portrayed as King Julien XIII Lord of the Lemurs in Madagascar!

11/02/2013 at 11:26
Torchbearer123 wrote (see)

And why does my ultra-running 100 miles a week friend avoid all carbs except sweet potato and brown rice, whereas Mo Farah eats loads of pasta?

Confused! 

Mo Farah is not an ultra runner!

Loads of ultra runners I know follow modified paleo and/or Atkins type diets going on the theory that depriving the body of carbs adapts it to better burn fat - i.e. stores of bodyfat - for fuel on long runs. Other ultra runners I know think it's a load of tosh and eat high carb diets and fuel their 100 mile runs with jelly babies and full fat Coke! I think the longer distances you go the more it becomes trial and error on an individual basis.

As this article points out, a lot of the top notch ultra runners appear to have clinical eating disorders. LOL!  http://www.irunfar.com/2013/02/food.html

11/02/2013 at 16:21
What does "parents won't let me pay for a sports nutritionist" mean? How old are you? If you are Genuinely going to pay for it out of money you have earned, how can they stop you? Or do you mean they won't pay for it?

Either way, to be honest, that statement is putting you in an age category where you may well still be growing and you are certainly still developing in terms of eg bones. Restricting your diet at this sort of stage in life is probably not a good idea - not to the extent you are talking about. Just eat a healthy balanced diet and try to sort out the injuries.

Also, if you have the money for a sports nutritionist, would it not be better spent on a physio to get you fit again?
11/02/2013 at 20:04

Reply to RunShonaRun:

I'm 17. Yep, I see your point. Sadly parents disagree. And no they definitely wouldn't pay for it, never mind allow me to spend my own earnt money to do so. Looking forward to being 18.

I've spent nearly £300 on Physio and Sports massage and 10 months later I'm still no closer to getting a diagnosis or getting running again. 3 miles on the bike is enough to put me in pain for a week.

seren nos    pirate
11/02/2013 at 21:16
Lardarse wrote (see)

How weird, I don't do any crunches, planks or situps. Can you see your ribs? This is starting to sound gay! lol

favourite post of 2013 so far

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.