Knee Arthroscopy

To have or not to have? Advice?

8 messages
19/04/2005 at 18:55
Just had confirmation of a tear to the medial meniscus in my knee and been told that solution is arthroscopy.

However a friend if mine is under the knife as I type having his 3rd knee op as the first 2 failed and hasn't run for nigh on 2 years which is making me rather wary of undergoing it myself

Also it is not so bad that I can't manage it within my training most of the time and in fact managed to complete a marathon on it a couple of weeks ago

What is anybody's feelings on this?

Should I have the op or continue as I am as it isn't affecting me badly at the moment?

Thanks
19/04/2005 at 20:52
Reasons not to have the surgery
- you can cope right now
- you have the same surgeon as the guy with 2 failed ops (depending on reason for failure!)

Reasons to have the surgery:
- you could make the meniscus worse and end up with more extensive surgery
- your knee is probably 'giving way' right now from time to time....if you fall as a result you run a high risk of twisting the ligaments....ACL/MCL are not areas of fun!
- it's is not always as bad as your friend's experience (I have had 2 surgeries...right knee 14 years ago, left knee 1 year ago)

I didn't run at the time of surgery 1...but was back cycling after 3 weeks.

After surgery 2, was back running after 8 weeks...return was delayed while we sorted out the ITB problem that was hiding behind the knee pain. But I'm a plodder, not a marathoner

In both cases, was walking after 3 days.

Good physio afterwards is really important...as is finding out *why* the meniscus tore to try and prevent further problems (unless it's a case of weird knees....in which case bah humbug and do what you like!)

Let me know if you have more questions that you think I may have answers to....but I won't be around till Thursday now
20/04/2005 at 11:44
How is it affecting you? I'd be tempted to give it 6 months and see how it is.
20/04/2005 at 18:28
Thanks guys - btw although I did a marathon I'm very much a plodder speed wise!

At the moment it comes and goes, clicks and clunks most of the time sometimes with an excrutiating stabbing pain but often with nothing at all. I think it hurts when a lose bit gets caught in the joint.

I must admit I'm tempted to leave it for a while, especially as I'm not planning another marathon this year (well apart from Beachy Head but we do that as run / walk day out with loads of food at the checkpoints so it's not too stressful). I don't intend to do more than half marathons maximum otherwise and I don't race very often at all..
21/04/2005 at 12:05
I have the exact same diagnosis-partial tear of the medial ligament which is apparently cause by mal-tracking kneecap. I am having an arthroscopy to perform a lateral release in a couple of weeks and am also worried that it could make things worse. I do think that it is worth having sooner rather than later though to stop any further damage to the knee occurring-i dont want to be out for any longer than absolutley necessary!
21/04/2005 at 13:30
Guys, I had it done six ago to repair years of damage caused by kickboxing. I now regularly run in marathons and 1/2s and have never felt better. Bottom line is if your doc is reccommending that you have it done then bite the bullet, they are the experts after all (Besides its a good excuse to get sympathy of your better half)
21/04/2005 at 15:21
It does sound quite bad if you are getting sharp pain and it is clunking most of the time. I think if it is that bad then I probably do agree with getting it done sooner.
21/04/2005 at 20:54
Ooh - I hate decisions

I have a crisis when choosing white wine or red!

Should see my doc next week so will discuss it with him in detail and also a couple of physio contacts and then try to make a decision based on all the info weighted up carefully...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.