Knee injury - advice please?

7 messages
03/07/2013 at 21:44

I am in week 4 of my half Marathon Training Plan for the Great North Run .... my first half marathon. Last night I went to netball and injured my knee .... on a jump I felt a pop to the lateral knee and collapsed. Ice pack was applied almost immediately and started ibuprofen. Today the knee is a bit swollen ( laterally and posteriorly) and not fully extending or flexing. Looked at a 3-D anatomy site and think I may have "popped" the popliteus muscle? .... any advice please. Am so upset about the effect on my training that this might have. Any advice please?

04/07/2013 at 07:17

If you heard a "pop" it is probably a ligament. Get yourself to A&E. The ACL is commonly injured in netball.

04/07/2013 at 07:56

ok thanks I will ....

It wont fully straighten nor bend past 90 degrees

04/07/2013 at 08:00

How did you injure it? Was it a twisting motion?

Good luck at the hospital.

04/07/2013 at 11:53

Thanks - went to Minor Injuries Unit.... feel so much better now! xray ok and ligaments intact. strained lateral collateral ligament and soft tissue swelling.

dont know injury - had jumped for the ball - players said I seemed to jump bent backwards and fell - think  pop  like a shotgun happened when I landed? but cant remember .... just thoughht I'd been taken out by another player - but wasnt. apparantly it was a hard land.

.... anyway - no more netball - running is too important !!

advised first week the most important to try stay off it - thereafter  can try training again and it may reswell. Suggested heat then try and increase range of movement as apparantly knees become stuck very quickly.

A friend suggested heat-cold teatment ... Any experience of how to do that best?

04/07/2013 at 12:21

Glad to hear that it's not too serious. I'd just stick to ice if I were you. You could use a Kinesiology Tape such as Rocktape to help reduce the swelling if you fancy it. http://rocktape.com/wp-content/uploads/RockTape-Edema-Taping-Instructions.pdf

Good luck

04/07/2013 at 12:37

cheers!

Liking cold - A Kool Pak makes it feel much better!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.