Knee Injury

3 messages
11/07/2011 at 19:38

I have a constant nagging pain on the outside of my left knee, running down the outside of my knee cap. There is also some pain at the front/under the knee cap itself. It is not a sharp stabbing pain it`s just a niggling pain.Also my knee/knee cap sometimes give a load crack when I bend it. If I sit down and straighten my leg out and push downwards with my fingers each side of my knee cap I can feel it click or crack into place, sometimes really loud.
I have been running 3 years mainly 10k distance with the half marathon distances in between. I go to the gym twice a week for an hour and also some roadwork (not enough). From Jan this year I stepped up the distance as I entered the Edinburgh marathon in May but had only run to a distance of 18 miles before the Marathon. This is when I first felt the niggling pain in my Knee. I managed to finish the Marathon but with pain in my knee and also in my left foot (right at the top near where you tie the laces). I put the pain in my foot down to just running the Marathon but I`m now wondering if they are linked. I have had the same running shoes for 3 years now.
Any help anyone.

11/07/2011 at 20:33

Sound's like ITB (Runner's Knee) I personally haven't experienced it (touch wood) but my knee's do creak a bit. From what I've read on it, strength exercises would benefit you. There should be a few on the website somewhere. Anything based on hip flexors, quad and knee strength should really help. Youtube have a few good vids. I suspect the pain in your foot is linked.

You can buy support bandages/wraps for you knee as well, I've seen them in John Lewis they should take the edge off the pain when you're running. I would also suggest a foam roller to aid your stretches.

Also, please buy some new running shoes, preferably fitted at a speialist store, that would be incredibly helpful.

If none of the above works I would suggest getting your GP to make you an appointment with a physio.

Hope it gets better, it must really suck for you. Let us know how you get on.

11/07/2011 at 20:38
Thanks for that Jane. I`m tending to agree with what you say. I have a bandage type knee thingy that I have just started to use a bit to help keep it in place (so to speak) dont wear it all the time and also a proper knee support I`ll wear for running esp the GNR. I am running in Gateshead this weekend then I intend to get some more running shoes. The old was was fitted properly at a running store but I`m thinking they are worn out now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.