Knee issues

4 messages
23/09/2009 at 13:25

Well I have a really sore and stiff knee after yesterdays long run ! In fact it was sore last week and I thought I had knocked it playing football but it has persisted and is the worst it's been right now.

No pain when my leg is straight but on bending or crouching down I am getting a lot of pain and it is very stiff and not so flexible as my leftknee. If I do a squat type movement I really feel it and would be unable to complete squats in the gym. The main pain is along the front to the right of my knee cap if I am looking down.  It is far worse when my knee is bent and I guess the main pain is where the quad meets the knee cap.

Reading a lot about runners knee but I am not sure if the pain related to that injury should be along the outside of the knee cap ?

23/09/2009 at 16:01

If you only did your long run last night I'd give it another 24 to 48 hours before worrying.

You are kind of supposed to feel it a bit after a long run!

23/09/2009 at 19:55
Rob, it could be any number of things at this point so I would take the above advice and rest & ice and give it a chance to mend. As difficult as it is to do nowt I strongly recommend you take this approach and come back slow. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I talk from experience of ignoring a similar pain in my knee. It came on over a 2 week period, thought little of it, and then destroyed it doing the Grim 8 miler last December. Couldn't run for 3 months after that and still haven't got back to anything like I was running before having ended up with chronic patella tendonitis. I was problem free for the previous 20 years. It aint worth it, don't be a tw*t  like me, listen to your body, rest it and you'll hopefully be fine. Good luck, Will.
24/09/2009 at 09:11

I actually pasted the above off another thread so the long run was Sunday and it's now Thursday so I have not ran since. I have been icing and taking Ibuprofen and although it's not right it has improved. I am away for the weekend and I am hoping I will be able to start running again next week. 

Supposed to be doing the Stroud Half on the 25th of October so I am hoping I will be able to get back asap

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.