knee niggle

how much rest ?

7 messages
26/03/2012 at 20:11
mmmm did a 18 miler early Sat morning - quite a hilly one for me ... ran thru knee niggle ok ... tried to get out there this morning and oh no ... ran jog walk jog home after 3 miles ... not too good
but i have MK marathon end of April - what should I do ?
16/04/2012 at 10:13
hi there how is the knee am having same problem and not sure how long i need to rest.
16/04/2012 at 11:55

Hi Merlie,

Are you tapering at the mo? I'd give it at least 3 days rest, more if necessary. Wait until it's comfortable before running again. No point creating an injury this close to the marathon when you should be easing down anyway.

I had a knee niggle in the last week before the Brighton Marathon yesterday. Was achy all week and I was taking pain relief the night before. In the run though it was totally fine. Not a second of pain from it so don't panic, tapering niggles are common but needn't be race threatening!

Tom

16/04/2012 at 20:02
Thx tom,

got out yesterday after 9 day rest, felt it for a mile or 2 then pain disappeared .... did a gently 7 miler then calf muscle went ! Walked 1 home : (

Done plenty of self massage - roller type of thing and ironed it out last night ... realy would like to do at least a 15 miler before big day. Of course i done really think ive done enough .

funny though - up until a few weeks ago things felt so easy!

Im hoping that any aches n pains in the race will be forgotten about given the occasion / atmosphere .
16/04/2012 at 20:20
I would favour rest over another long run. Better to arrive at the start line undertrained than injured.
17/04/2012 at 21:21
Went out and did 17 miles ... calf felt a little tight n heavy for a while - but soon diminished.

Im starting to think that running can cure the odd niggle or 2 ?
17/04/2012 at 21:51
It can do, but it can also turn a niggle into an injury!
Glad it went well for you though. Getting excited about the marathon yet?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.