Knee Pain - New Runner

Knee Pain - New Runner

1 message
11/03/2013 at 10:34

I have recently started running and have completed a few 3 mile runs with ease. I attempted a 10 mile run last Monday and 7 miles in to it had a real dull ache in my right knee (roughly to the right hand side of my knee cap). I initially put this down to fitness and thought I would carry on through the ache but was unable to run due to the pain I was feeling however I was able to finish the last 3 miles at a brisk walking pace. My dad is a more experienced runner and advised me I had rather done to much to early or it could be the trainers I was wearing. I have since been and got my gaits measured and he was correct with that as the trainers I had would have been ideal 10 years ago but the "bubble" had burst and they were no longer suitable so I purchased a new pair! I tried to attempt another run a few days later but my knee started to hurt again (old trainers) before I had even completed 1 mile so i once again walked home in little pain. Yesterday I was due to attempt another 10 mile run (new trainers) but just 3 miles in to it the same happened again. This time however my knee seems to hurt more and moving a load of washing from the sofa to a chair really hurt my knee. When i put my hand on my knee and move my leg it feels OK but does crack slightly but with no pain. It seems to only hurt when I run.

Did I just over do the first run?

Any help will be great as I have registered for a local 10k run in Woodbridge that I really want to take part in and having bought a new pair of trainers I don't want to give up now!!!

Thanks

Liam Kennedy 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.