Knee pain ! Please advice x

Pain

12 messages
21/02/2013 at 01:55
I need some advice . I tried to do a nice long marathon training run several weeks ago and I cant remember why but I walked for a short distance ,i tried running again and my knee started to hurt . It wad like a sharp pain down oneside of my knee as I was running with a club I rode the bikefor a while then got if ran for the rest of my run in no pain . I hsve since tried to run and have only managed 4 miles and was in a bit of pain . Its also a bit painful going up the stairs and just feels weak it is a bit swollen as well . Im just hoping if anyone else has had this pain and knows what it is and how long they had to stop running ?,
Edited: 21/02/2013 at 02:27
21/02/2013 at 02:23

One side of your knee?  Inside or outside?  If it's outside, then try googling IT Band syndrome, (ITB syndrome)  and see if your symptoms match.

21/02/2013 at 02:32
Its on the outside, right hand side of,my knee . And when I bend my knee I can feel weird popping sound . I was told its a tendon but im not to convinced

I have a half marathon comeing up and dont want to miss it ! But looks like I might have to again
21/02/2013 at 02:33
Not sound sensation lol
21/02/2013 at 02:53
Run Wales thanks googled it and the pain is the same . Will physio help im paying for private consultation as I dont want to wait for NHS
21/02/2013 at 03:03
Not sound sensation lol
21/02/2013 at 03:27

Sorry Nicola, I don't have first hand experience.   Think you need to search this forum for one of the hundreds of threads on this topic.

If I remember right, physio can help - as can stretching and foam rollers.  Sometimes physio can provide a rapid cure but more often it sounds like a niggly thing that is hard to shake off.  Like I say, no first hand experience, so my memory of those threads might be unreliable.   Good luck with it.

21/02/2013 at 03:29

... although, as I sit here, the outside of my right knee has just started pulling a bit !

TIme to get back to sleep! 

21/02/2013 at 15:16

I am currently having physio for ITB pain.  It involves ultrasound to reduce the inflammation and some (very) vigourous massage to ease the tension in the ITB.  In between sessions I have some stretches / other stuff to do (some imbalance has also been diagnosed, so dealing with that as well as it could be a contributing factor).  I am recovering, but it's not a quick fix I'm afraid.

21/02/2013 at 23:56
Oh right thanks . Ive been doing some reading on the ITB and the stretches . I have tried them and have had some success I was very surprised at how tight my hamstrings are and my calf muscle . Ive also read that weak core strength can be a contributing factor as well. . This person im seeing has come highly recomended by the club I run with but cannot afford a lengthy recovery so am hopeing for advice and excerses.
25/02/2013 at 13:26

Hi Nicola. I had a similar problem with my right knee/leg last year and it turnt out it was ITBS. It was a nightmare as I could barely run or cycle a mile without feeling some pain.

After lots of Googleing, I tired various different exercises and bought myself a foam roller, which I use regularly now. The foam roller can be quite uncomforatble at first if you haven't used one before so be warned! I also had a deep tissue massage which was even more uncomfortable than the first use of the foam roller, however I was told that my ITB was very tight and the massage would help. Another physio I visited also used ultrasound on it, and with all of the above combined, as well as the all important REST, the pain and discomfort subsided and I was back running and cycling as normal.

Good luck.

28/02/2013 at 14:20
Great news! Went to a private clinic, ive been told I can continue running,and will be completing in the,half marathon in 2weeks . I have an appointment after the,half . But he didnt use an ultra sound he did do a massage and put inserts in my trainers . He also gave,me lots of stretches anda massageto do at home
Edited: 28/02/2013 at 14:23

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.