Knee pain

4 messages
18/10/2002 at 13:11
I ran a 16 miler last weekend. After 13 miles I had very bad pains at the area just behind my knee causing my leg and knees to stiffen up.

Im aiming for the marathon next year but dont want to struggle in the last few miles.

Does anyone know what causes this knee pain and how I can go about ensuring I dont get it again?

Thanks
18/10/2002 at 15:44
You're not increasing your mileage too quickly are you? In the absence of any other info, suggest easing back on the long run next week (to say 13 miles), then increase it at one mile per week. Unless you are planning for an ultra marathon or something your mileage only needs to get to 20 for the long run. You've got plenty of time for a marathon next year if you're already up to that kind of distance.
18/10/2002 at 17:00
When I was training the maximum mileage I did was 10 miles so its possible I was doing too much too soon.
Thanks
18/10/2002 at 17:26
RJ

I agree with Glenn. If the problem persists do seek advice from a physio.

H-R

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.