Knee Pain!

3 messages
29/09/2005 at 16:06
Can anyone tell me what their view is on running with early stage arthritis...I really dont want to give up running at all
29/09/2005 at 16:12
oh and im only 34!
29/09/2005 at 17:55
I have arthritis and got a lot of advice from Arthritis Care and my consultant. My arthritis is rheumatoid based and is sooooo much better for aerobic activity. However, if yours is osteoarthritis I think its different - and I can't help you. Anyway, so long as you don't overdo it and slowly train, building up endurance gently its fine. My last xrays showed a definite reduction in joint swelling and no more joint errosion. Anyway - if you know exactly what type of arthritis you have (there are over 200 types)then you can get specific advice. Check out whether your doctor runs - mine does and so that has really helped. I started with arthritis when I was 20 and got a lot of pain relief from swimming and I did that for years. I am now 47 and I run about 25 miles a week now, and I feel much better for it.
Let me know if I can help - email me if you want. Good luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.