KNEE PROBLEMS

I need advice about my knee problem

1 message
28/12/2013 at 11:46

I recently had a knee operation and have been told I can get back to running. I never had a knee problem before. This, though, is what the surgeon found...

The patella-femoral joint: grade 2 and 3 arthritis (4 being the worst)

Meniscus: small post horn tear and grade 3 arthritis

Everything else: normal

He smoothed off the tear and flushed away all debris. Whilst I was laid off (prior to and after the operation), I put quite a bit of weight on. Questions...

(A) In an effort to keep as much stress of my knee as possible, do I attempt to lose all my weight before I start running again, or should I just start training again but just make sure I'm also dieting?

(B) I'm told hill reps aren't good for an arthritic knee. Is there a knack of hill repping that takes pressure off the knee? Alternatively, are there any exercises I can do that replicates hill repping but doesn't involve the knee to the same extent?

(C) Any other advice about training/racing/coping with this problem, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.