Knots in calves

How do I get them out?

10 messages
07/08/2008 at 16:16

So I went to see a physio recently about an ankle injury and as part of the treatment he gave me a quick calf massage. Apparently they have more knots in them than a Stretch Armstrong that has been set upon by a boy scout group.

What's the best way to relieve them? At the moment I've taken to rolling a tennis ball over my calf while at work for 10 minutes or so, which bloody hurts but then it is supposed to, isn't it? Is it just a case of press as hard as you can or could I actually end up making things worse? 

07/08/2008 at 22:08

Can you get hold of a foam roller (around £10). same effect as a tennis ball- but easier to use for larger areas. When rolling your calf over it  very slowly- rest the other leg on top of the lower one to provide more pressure. When you come across an extra sore bit- stay in that position for 10 secs or so (if you can bear it).

Do this daily and pretty soon you will get rid of the knots - you will know because suddenly using the roller wont be painful anymore. 

I use the roller everywhere at the first sign of a pain- and also weekly just to check all is ok (kind of preventative medicine). I find the tennis ball good for more specific areas - just above the knee/ hips etc.

Yes it hurts when there are knots but it is the way to solve it.

I see a running coach for weekly strenghtening exercises (after suffering many injuries!) - if sh finds a knot in my legs somewhere - she basically pushes down with her thumb really hard into my leg at the sore point to relieve the muscle!

Enjoy

07/08/2008 at 23:49

yeah I did that to myself  a few times and it felt better for a short period before feeling tight and knotty again. I too have had many injuries and know the pros stick their thumbs in for a while.

I'm just not sure if it's a knot or a pulled/torn muscle....the former will allow me back runnning sooner.

08/08/2008 at 13:21

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'll look into getting a foam roller that I can use at home (any reccomendations of where to buy one?) and keep at it with the tennis ball at work. I don't think these knots are the cause of my injury but they certainly can't be helping.

Good luck with your injury too dibbers, hopefully it will only be a knot.  

08/08/2008 at 16:28

Hi Sheddy

I have read your forum question, and I use a roller after each run to disperse the lactic acid from my calf , and to give them a quick massage. The intesity I apply depends how hard i press my leg down on the roller.

I purchase a foam paint roller from a DIY store for a couple quid, which does the job.

Hope this helps you with your knots. 

10/08/2008 at 20:37

Also - I use this method:-

Run your knotted up calf over your opposite knee - and when you get to sore bit just press over firmly and repeat a few times!!! 

11/08/2008 at 16:32

Thanks john, getting a DIY roller is a genius suggestion!

I had found some "proper" ones on Amazon but they seem somewhat pricey for a coloured cylinder of foam. 

@samsunguser. Cheers, I assume this is done while seated on the floor, legs straight, one on top of the other?

11/08/2008 at 16:38
Hello - Yes either lying down with one of your legs bent and the leg with the troublesome calf use to roll over your knee or sitting up.  I usually do this sitting up whilst watching tv! Just hold your leg whilst rubbing it over your other knee....simple and effective.
12/08/2008 at 11:57

Ah right, thanks muchly!

My calves are in for a hell of an evening, I can tell you.

15/08/2008 at 19:29
compression socks are supposed to help with this I am lead to believe - from a fellow sufferer

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.