Losing fitness

12 messages
15/11/2002 at 10:29
Can anyone tell me how quickly you lose your fitness? I have been ill for the last week and therefore haven't run in 5 days. Will I have lost alot if fitness? Before that I was running fairly regualrily (4/5 times a week), and up to September training for a marathon - so have quite a base of training behind me...Fitness levels and how quickly fitness comes and goes is a subject that I don't have much knowledge on so if anyone can shed some light I would really appreciate it. :)
15/11/2002 at 10:46
Charlotte - form something MartinH said a while ago, if I recall you would only lose fitness after about 3-4 weeks. But on saying that, if you aren't fully recovered you might find things difficult and you should take things slowly. By the time I restart running, I won't have run for nearly 7 and a half months so I have my work cut out :)
cougie    pirate
15/11/2002 at 11:27
I think Cath is bang on there. 5 days is nothing. I've done some of my best runs after a week (or more) of rest.
You might have needed the time to recover.
jd
15/11/2002 at 22:54
Hi Charlotte - 5 days and you should be fine, just take the first one steady whilst your muscles and bones get back in sync.
I do similar sort of mileage to you and I find that if I have had to stop for more than a week then it takes twice as long to get back to the same level - i.e. 2 weeks for every week lost.
I made a mistake at the beginning of 2001 - I had trained hard and completed a good marathon at Disney and thought I would do what the experts suggest and take 2 weeks off completely from running, even though I still felt good. When I started again I had all sorts of pains and aches and pulls and it took 3 months to get back in order.
Have you any races you are targeting?
20/11/2002 at 10:42
Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

In reply to your question JD I am targeting a few races - my next one is supposed to be the Gt.Barford Half on the 8th Dec (if I am fit enough!!), and then after that I have a few lined up for 2003, with a Spring Marathon as my main target (hopefully London - keeping my fingers crossed). If not London then I am going to enter the Shakespeare Marathon instead....I have to keep giving myself targets to push myself (see my own website www.dutchworld.biz)...what about you?

M
20/11/2002 at 12:41
Hi Charlotte
I had a week off running last week - I wasn't ill, just lacking in motivation. Have been out twice since - muscles the next day were a bit stiff but still managed to do the times I was recording before my week off. Think it is good sometimes to take a break and perhaps reassess aims and ambitions with your running and more often than not you can emerge from the break refreshed and ready to rock and roll!
20/11/2002 at 14:43
Hi M - I know what you mean, I got back to running after 5 days off and I actually had a great run. I felt refreshed and raring to go....I think you are right a rest gives you time to re-assess your running aims and goals, which is not only critical for progression but also for long term motivation. However I am now trying to get myself back into a regular training pattern and my body is rebelling at getting up early now it has had a taste of lying in! :)
M
20/11/2002 at 14:53
Hi Charly
I usually run at tea time except on weekends. I have to leave the house about 7.15am which would mean i'd have to get up at an god-awful hour in order to fit in a run! I quite often play some lively music while i'm getting into my running gear in order to help motivate me and remind myself how good I will feel after! Usually works a treat.
20/11/2002 at 15:34
Charly

Make sure that you are fully recovered before you start running again.

S
jd
20/11/2002 at 22:37
Hi Charly (& M) (et al)
Glad you're back into it. Regarding recovery from illness, its often difficult to decide when to stop, when to keep going. I normally run thro' a cold as long as there isn't a fever. The best guide for me is my pulse - I woke with a rotten cold 18 days ago, but my pulse was still ~40, so did a 19 miler and whilst the cold hung around, I did a 10 mile PB on Sunday.
Good luck with your London applic.
20/11/2002 at 23:26
I would say my fitness retreats after 7 days
22/11/2002 at 09:18
Thanks again to everyone for all the advice - this forum is great. Lots of support and great for motivation......

Bye for now, Charly :)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.