loss of fine motor skills

could it be the bike or sleeping funny

1 to 20 of 27 messages
seren nos    pirate
16/05/2011 at 18:02

I did a bike ride saturday,,,,,,,,,,,no problems............and I can't remember having any problems with my hands yesterday.........but woke up this morning and had trouble with using my hands............the last 3 fingers on each hand are worst...............infact I coundn't do up my own bra and had to ask my teenage son...............

went on a long bike ride today and had trouble at times changing gears.......and tonight couldn't do up my bra again and trouble with fine motor skills............

haven't had a problem like this on the bike before...................so could I have damaged a nerve or something on saturday and not noticed or could I have slept funny last night.............................but it it on both hands.or something else

16/05/2011 at 18:26
Handlebar palsy? Maybe. But not a doc or physio, so what do I know!
flyaway    pirate
16/05/2011 at 18:27
I think it's likely to be the bike. Do you wear gloves? How good is the padding? Do you still have full sensation with those fingers?
seren nos    pirate
16/05/2011 at 18:39

I wear fingerless gloves and I have had them a while now so padding could be going......

they feel abit like pins and needles in the fingers.especially the tips......i don't seem to have proper strength in the hands..............

i will stop cycling for a few day and go look for some new gloves..........

M...eldy    pirate
16/05/2011 at 18:50
 +1 for New gloves

PSC    pirate
16/05/2011 at 19:28

+another.

You might want to have a look at your handlebars too - is the bar tape worn/hard?

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
16/05/2011 at 19:31
Which fingers, Seren?
seren nos    pirate
16/05/2011 at 20:02

the bike is newish .only used it a couple of times last year and been using it the last 3 weeks so the handlebar tape should be good.............but being using the gloves a long time now

Basil......its the middle fingers and the end two....the thumb and index fingers seem ok.....just a bit tingley..but functionable..

shoulders are feeling tight as well.....so probably bike related

Edited: 16/05/2011 at 20:03
16/05/2011 at 20:06
tmb's suggestion of handlebar palsy sounds possibe
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
16/05/2011 at 20:27
Little and ring fingers = ulnar nerve. So quite possible you've impinged them on handlebars. This kind of thing would usually result in temporary neuropraxia (=nerve bruising) which should just gradually settle over the next few days. But if it seems to get worse - pain/weakness etc - see your doc.
seren nos    pirate
16/05/2011 at 22:20

Thanks BB.......I'll keep an eye on it.........

2 long rides in 3 days is probably a bit too much............

16/05/2011 at 22:25

I think Ditchy had a similar problem on her old bike and I think Holly had the problem too.....change your gloves but if it still happens then you need to look at your position on the bike

I can sympathise with the sensation though as that's how my neck problems first presented themselves, so if it doesn't settle or go away don't ignore it. I got to the point with my right hand that I couldn't hold a pen properly...kind of a problem for a journo!

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2011 at 22:31

I had the bike fitted for me with bike science so hopefully the setup is correct.................probably my age..............

it makes thing like cooking strange as half the sensation in my hand is there but not the other...............

cougie    pirate
17/05/2011 at 00:12
Can you raise the bars a bit ? Less weight on them then ?
M...eldy    pirate
17/05/2011 at 00:21
Seren. some good old core work wouldnt go amiss as well so you are not leaning through your arms and causing neck strain/ulnar pain
17/05/2011 at 10:23

What kind of handlebars have you got on your bike. If they are straight bars (like a mountain bike) you could switch to drop handlebars, or even tri-bars, which give you a variety of ways to hold them, relieving the pressure.

seren nos    pirate
17/05/2011 at 10:58

I can move into three postions on the bike.........as I have tri bars fitted..........so I do a lot of the ride on the top of the bars......with sometimes on the tri bars and sometimes on the drop bars................

I am a bit reluctant to move the bars as I have had them measured for me and am getting very little pain in my shoulders and no lower back pain cycling which is a positve...............

i will try rest and changing the gloves as my first port of call........

thanks for all the advise

seren nos    pirate
21/05/2011 at 13:50

right....left off exercise since Monday...........right hand greatly improved..............tried swimming this morning.......and noticed left hand is useless.......won't work in a swim motion.............

also noticed that I can't put my fingers together whilst holding the hand out flat................to get the fingers together then I have to bend the hand...........

also reuduced strength in that hand.........and can't do up my bra still................

so have I left it long enough.or would it be best to try and get a doctors appointment next week..........

Farnie    pirate
10/06/2011 at 13:38

boinged thanks to FB pointing me in this direction.

Seren, my friend is suffering with handlebar palsy, I wondered how you had got on since you posted this?

01/09/2014 at 16:21

Hey Seren - I had to remove tri bars for a British Cycling organised century on Saturday.  Hands were going numb in the last 30 miles and I had to keep shaking them out.

48 hours on and left hand is still pretty paralysed in little and adjoining finger.

I need new / better gloves and suspect my core is too weak and standard handlebars not perfect but the important / immediate question from me is.. PLEASE what did you do to speed up recovery & how long did it take?

1 to 20 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.