lower back stiffness

onset of lower back stiffness whilst running

3 messages
30/03/2008 at 23:19
On occasion I have an early morning run.  Unfortunately, I experience lower back stiffness which comes on part way through the run and becomes increasingly uncomfortable.  I have been able to run through it but it seriously detracts from the run and puts me off going out in the morning.  I do not get this problem if I run later in the day.  Does anybody have any advice on this?
31/03/2008 at 10:52

Buy a new mattress !

Alternatively get up earlier and stretch your back several times before you go.

Lower back pain is a very very common injury, but it is also complex, in that it can be both a sympton of another underlying cause, or be in an of itself the problem.

I would suggest that it is stiffening up overnight and takes a couple of hours activity to loosen off,  a change of mattress (to orthopaedic or similar) may help.

01/04/2008 at 22:23
Thanks very much for your reply and suggestion regarding getting a new mattress.  I do have a very high hip waist ratio (tiny waist but womanly hips!).  I wonder if it could be to do with that also.  I struggle to do abs work with my legs extended as I am lordotic - have a spine which curves in significantly at the base.  This means that I take all the stress into my lower back.  I am very restless at night and toss and turn a lot and sometimes do experience lower back discomfort so I think that it would probably help to get a proper orthopaedic mattress when I can afford one.  I will have to do some stretches first - pilates rolldowns and yoga cat stretches might be helpful before I go.  Thanks again for your help!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.