Lower backpain while running during and after?

4 messages
02/01/2013 at 06:43
  Basically my back hurts like hell when I'm running I can usually run just over a mile before it starts to hurt and I need to slow down to a walk until the pain eases and I can start up again. My back also hurts the morning after. My question is am I simply being a big wuss? Is back pain normal? If its not what can I do to prevent it? I only slow down and stop because of my back I never stop because I'm out of breath or my calves are burning it is always because of the pain in my lower back and I am unable to deal with it without slowing and walking. I currently own a quite scrappy pair of running trainers and also barefoot running Vibram Five fingers KSOs I started running with the Vibrams and after I got backpain I assumed it was because of the barefoot running shoes so I stopped rested for three weeks (as I went on holiday) and switched back to normal running shoes when I returned and the back pain is still there. Its also worth mentioning that I get the same problem when doing situps however it only hurts enough to bring me to a stop If I push myself more than usual. 
Any advice would be much appreciated.
PSC    pirate
02/01/2013 at 07:35

I would suggest that the GP/Physio route is more likely to give you a decent answer than a forum. 

Good luck.

03/01/2013 at 14:37

I had a similar problem- try looking at this link http://www.fitsugar.com/latest/hip-flexor-stretch?page=2 and other stretches for the hips as I found running increases tension in the hip flexor area and the lower back then has to compensate and so also tenses up. Once I started with a range of stretches the back pain disappeared.

Also, you probably need to change your running shoes.

04/01/2013 at 02:40

Weak core muscles cause my back pain when running. A physio will help you see if this is the case

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.