Lower shin pain ?

7 messages
18/02/2014 at 19:42

Had just about every other injury in the past but ran a steady 20 mile mara trainer on Sunday and a bit stiff on Monday, where I was doing somemuch manoeuvering cutting a storm damage tree down wearing some uncomfortable boots.  Suddenly got a bad pain centrally in my lower right shin about 2" above my ankle height and its been very painful whenever I walk - pain eases when I sit down and rest - I will go to the physio if recommended but anyone got a 'head-up' on what this may be in the meantime ?  VLM not long now and already behind in my schedule - hmmm !

19/02/2014 at 00:01

Get the physio appointment now. Too close to the VLM to take the chance. If nothing else they can give you a good massage and loosen everything up!

19/02/2014 at 01:04
It's shin splints. Forget Physio, rest until the pain aids idea and thwart only run every other day. That should give you the best xhanxe you will have. A Physio will charge you 60quid for that advice so I've saved you some money.
Good luck.
19/02/2014 at 11:33

I had some excellent help with shin splints that cured them in a week from a physio and it had nothing to do with what you have mentioned flob.

Minor injury assessment and treatment is often far more complex than people imagine.

19/02/2014 at 20:48

I agree I am also training for london Marathon and about 1 month ago started to get a burning sensation down my left Tibia on the outside.

Tried everything ice,rest etc,etc..it wouldn't go away so I have seen a physio who is fab!

Because of the shin splint it caused a tigger point in calf,his massage is helping no end and hope to run 19 miles this weekend.

When I tried to roller it out I couldn't walk for a day,leave it to the physio if unsure..

Good luck..

20/02/2014 at 18:19

Many thanks for your help and support ...I agree with all points made !!  Physio has cost me a fortune in recent years (I'm so brittle !) and having trouble affording this so much so I was holding back for a few days and resting, as it often seems a few weeks to get an appointment with one of my few 'decent ones'.  It has improved a lot with rest so I will try a short run on Saturday and see how it goes.  It think that it must have been a very mild shin splint - if it still plays up I will endeavour to see the doc/physio ...not long to VLM now so best wishes to Tara tara 2 and all doing that.

Cheers

20/02/2014 at 19:37

If you suddenly got a pain whilst cutting a tree down then did you pull a muscle and it's not shin splints?  Sounds like rest is helping and is a lot cheaper than a physio

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.