marathon to couch in 5 weeks

help-advice-miracle-please!!!

1 message
24/06/2013 at 21:18

After running my first marathon 5 weeks ago I have had severe knee pain (right).

The pain started in the last couple of miles of the race but then it was not all that bad-but the evening and the next day I could hadly walk.

Since then any running at all-even a few hundred yards brings the pain back on. Now even a brisk walk starts the pain. Once started the pain lasts for a few hours and can range from mild to severe.

On a day when I dont walk much I dont get any pain it is not even noticable at all.

The pain is on the outside of the knee cap and is a aching/deep pain.

I have a physio who thinks it ITB and is treating it accordingly-I am stretching especially the glutes-I believe thought the ITB is really tough and not easily stretched.

I am not convinced that it is a ITB issue as the time scale now is longer than most ITB problems start to show some sign of improvement, this is getting worse.

I have gone from 3:12 Marathon form to the couch and expect that when I eventually can start running again I will be back to a walk/run plan!!! so so fustrating.

Would you ask the gp to arrange a scan? 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Help & advice needed please.

PS. I have a road bike and do cycle a bit but this also brings on the pain to the same level as brisk waling.

I was planing on using the fitness from the marathon training to reduce my shorter distance pb's - so p!55£d off

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.