Marathon training 'may pose a heart risk'

On BBC website

21 to 22 of 22 messages
08/12/2011 at 09:29

Unfortunately, yes, people do believe that xine267, Somebody goes even further and suggests that you only have a certain number heartbeats, breaths, steps, elbow bends, knee bends, etc in you. I stand by the way argument that, even if the heartbeat thing is true, our resting heartbeats are pretty damn low compared to most people's, so it probably all evens out...

I just updated the blog to add in another study that I found quite interesting. This study suggests that smoking is beneficial for endurance athletes. It's lucky the media never got hold of that one! Just so you know though, this is in no way a study by a scientist claiming that endurance athletes should smoke. The author is "proving" an intentionally controversial point to show that if you do science badly then you can prove anything. In this case he has cherry picked a couple of example studies that show potential benefits of smoking to runners (loss of weight, increased lung volume, increased serum haemoglobin levels, etc.) and used them to argue an obviously incorrect hypothesis. But let's be honest, most people are going to read the title and make their judgement from that. 

08/12/2011 at 12:40

NIce review Sam, cheers for that

I'm however not going to look at the DM site, as I prefer my blood pressure at it's current level. 

My A level Biology teacher had a heart attack whilst I was at school. When he returned to work he said he wouldn't start exercising because of the limit number of heart beat argument. I'll however quote the 1st sentence from the editorial on the 'heart risk' article;

"The cardiovascular benefits of regular exercise are established; individuals exercising regularly have an average life expectancy of 7 years longer than their sedentary counterparts. "

Sarna S, Sahi T, Koskenvuo M, Kaprio J Increased life expectancy of world class male athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1993;25:237-244

Case closed.

I like the smoking study too. Completely unrelated but my favourite academic paper is this one. linky

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.