Menopause

How do you know?

21 to 40 of 96 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
21/05/2010 at 16:31

I hate being a girl.

All men have to deal with is a few badly timed hard ons in class when they're about 14 and then for the rest of their lives they just plod on regardless.

I haven't got any menopausal signs yet but I'm 37 and that's probably a bit too young.

I hate periods, but what comes next is no better is it?

21/05/2010 at 16:37
sadly 37 is not too young for the peri-menopause the bit that comes before the big bit (not wishing to depress you)& to be honest I have not found it tooooooooo bad so far but then I cant speak for kids & other half,their opinion may be different.....the worst bit for me is that I now have spots......the body & face of a 42 yr old but with spots of a 14 year old,I would not mind but I did not get them at 14 so why the hell I should get them now !!!!

& liverbird you are right men have it waaaaaayyyyyyy easier than girls on the hormone front
LIVERBIRD    pirate
21/05/2010 at 16:41

I've always had problems with spots! Ironically in the last couple of years I've had hardly any.

My puberty lasted 25 years....

21/05/2010 at 16:50
god I wish there was a magic solution to make them go away.the night sweats,hot flushes & getting moody cos someone has dared to drop a crumb on the carpet I can cope with but when you get all glammed up to go out & you have a spot.......well that can reduce me to a gibbering wreck,that & the fact that I have proper boobs for the first time in my life lol a whole cup size bigger !!!!! at least Mr P cant complain about that joyous symptom
24/05/2010 at 13:50

Oh, I was looking forward to finally getting rid of my spots as well during the menopause... looks like that's not going to happen as well.

24/05/2010 at 19:41

Little Nemo,

Two options on the flooding problem

1) Mooncups - SOOOOOO much better than the alternative

2) Endometrial ablation - if you are past having babies you can get the lining of your womb fried. I was due for this sometime this month but after an unplanned extra 3 weeks in NZ my boss has asked me to defer until the end of summer so other people can get some time off.

06/04/2011 at 08:45
Uh-oh - hot flushes are back and I'm v. late again
06/04/2011 at 08:55

Little Nemo, have you upped your running recently?

I've had loads more blood tests and also scans and everything is fine and am apparently definitely not going through menopause, but am missing one in four periods and getting odd symptoms. Doc is pretty convinced it's due to me running regularly and losing weight. I had a few months before Christmas when I stopped running cos of injury and things went back to normal. As soon as I got into regular running routine again I started having problems again.

06/04/2011 at 09:04

I have upped my running Saffy as I had a long lay-off last year and I have lost a couple of pounds. But I'm doing a lot lower mileage than from a few years ago and I'm also heavier than I was then. When I first started doing longer runs I used to get spotting in between which I put down to me not being used to all the pounding the streets. Doctor checked it out and it was all fine and eventually stopped. Never used to miss periods before last year.

I'm going to be reducing the mileage after Marathon on Sunday so I'll see what happens then.

Cheers

09/05/2011 at 22:11
I don't have periods because of the injectable contraceptive and so I asked my GP last year how I would know when I hit menopause. She did a blood test which indicated I'd probably got to that point but it has to be repeated next month to confirm it. Thing is I am now getting awful problems with hot flushes. Worse at night but sometimes I can get a bad one in the day when I can literally soak my bra.

What I'm wondering is whether this is the reason I'm finding it hard to race in hot weather. Despite trying to drink plenty it takes till the next day to stop feeling dry mouthed and get my urine nice and dilute. Training runs are fine, I think that is because I am running more slowly, I can choose when to go out and with the Camelbak I can drink when I feel the need.

Anyone else found the same and any suggestions about the flushes? I'm getting to the point of going back to see what the GP suggests.
09/05/2011 at 22:13
I've had hot flushes for some time now and my boobs are heading south faster than a BA flight to Cape Town...
LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/05/2011 at 22:28

I had that injectable contraceptive.

I bled solidly for ten months. The doctor said "well what do you expect, some people do"?

It was (unsurprisingly) a MAN.

09/05/2011 at 22:38
JB -

LB - I've been lucky enough to avoid that! If the next bloods are positive then I will stop the injection in 2012. Hoping to avoid all bleeding that way.
10/05/2011 at 07:15
Summer duvet plus open window last night meant that I saved a bit of electricity as the fan stayed off
10/05/2011 at 08:00
USB I am on my second pack of HRT, non bleed variety, so far so good, hot flushes gone, idiotic weeping woman mostly gone, slight increase in boobage and associated tenderness. So far benefits massively outweighing immediate potential negative side effects.
10/05/2011 at 08:35

My hot flushes aren't that bad, USB. Normally just 30-60 seconds of feeling v. hot. I only noticed it because it makes me sweat in odd places - behind my knees and the bend of my elbows! I haven't noticed much change in my running but maybe I can blame my awful marathon performance on "the change"

The ones at night were v. annoying as I normally had to get up and wonder about to cool down. But they're tailing off again now so I suspect my periods will restart like they did last year.

Not sure if I need HRT yet, may wait a few months and see what happens. Numpty question: do you get periods when you're on HRT?

10/05/2011 at 09:16
Have you been to the docs yet Little Nemo?
10/05/2011 at 09:45
I went last year Saffy. I was tested but my hormone levels were normal. Doctor said to go back and see her in a few months if periods didn't come back. They did about a month later so I put it down to a blip. It's possible I'm peri-menopausal so it could be like this for a few years before they stop altogether I think.
10/05/2011 at 10:03

LN, I had endometrial ablation for heavy periodsin 2001 and stopped bleeding but still had my cycle. There are bleed HRT and no bleed, I opted for no bleed as there was no way I wanted the hassle of periods again! My GP said I might get spotting but so far so good, 5 weeks on it and I feel like a new woman

Its worth going back for a chat. 

10/05/2011 at 10:13
Good to know you can choose no bleed HRT, beebs. When I have them my periods are pretty heavy so it would be good to get rid of them! I'll give it another month and go and see the doctor to see what's happening.
21 to 40 of 96 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.