Menopause

How do you know?

81 to 94 of 94 messages
14/03/2012 at 17:33

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with it

I think getting tested would be a good thing as I'm sure the Wellwoman clinic or your doctor could suggest things to try? My doctor was v. good and gave me an article to read about HRT. I haven't actually read it all yet (must do this before Friday!) but so far it's been v. informative. The only thing it doesn't cover is alternative treatments. So hopefully if I do turn out to be menopausal I'll have an idea of what treatments are available and what to expect.

The funny thing with my PMT was that it had eased over the last few years so it was a bit of a shock to go back to how I used to be. I have to say I would rather take medication than feel like that again!

16/03/2012 at 10:19

Well results are back and I have started the menopause. I've decided to go for HRT so I'll be starting this today or tomorrow.

It's a big change!  Not sure exactly how I feel about it, probably need a few days to come to terms with it.

16/03/2012 at 15:00

Oh Nemo at least you know where you are now and help in the form of HRT is at hand - good luck

05/04/2012 at 12:41

BOING!

Just thought I'd stick an update in on how the HRT's going. I've been on it for about 3 weeks now, using a low dose oestrogen/progesterone one. I have to say I loved the first 2 weeks on the oestrogen only. Felt a lot calmer, most of the hot flushes stopped and I was sleeping better. I've felt slightly different on the progesterone part, a bit angsty and I'm not sleeping as well but still better than before.

It's early days but it seems to be so far, so good.

15/08/2012 at 16:07

Boing

Can I have an update. I am getting the flushes and snappy at random times, loss of confidence etc. Going to see the docs.

15/08/2012 at 16:24

Hi SteadyCJ

Some of my symptoms have come back a bit over the last few months so I'm planning to talk to my doctor about trying a different prescription. I still get occasional hot flushes at night especially when I'm taking the progesterone pills. Moods have been a bit iffy, have had a few spells of feeling really down for no good reason. Also I've only had one period while being on them which might be a problem.

It's definitely worth seeing your doctor because having a proper diagnosis means you can start to do things about it. I'll be sticking with HRT because even though things aren't completely right they are better than before I started taking them.

The only downside is you get charged for 2 prescriptions because there are 2 sorts of pill in the treatment - grrrr

Good luck and let us know how you get on

16/08/2012 at 17:34

Thanks, I'm 48 now and had a contraceptive implant (the progesterone only one) put in 18 months ago, it replaced one that did 3 years with no problems and only 2 periods a year so like it a lot. Not sure if it has moved slightly, its in the upper arm nestled between some muscles or my being more active is causing it to send out more hormones or just the rest of my body doing daft things.
I bought some dry roasted soya beans to nibble on, will have 10 little beans a day as the serving size on the packet is massive and no way would I want to eat a whole serving. Some years ago I knew a group of women who swore that the bread with soya helped them.
I agree to the grr re the prescription, seems mad that you have to pay twice even though its one treatment.

Edited: 16/08/2012 at 17:35
16/08/2012 at 23:20

Can they tell when the menopause starts if you have an implant? I'm a bit ignorant on how they work

People keep talking about soy so maybe I should try this as well as my HRT.

My other symptom is problems with my short-term memory. Not sure if this is menopause related or just a sign of getting older! I'm getting a bit fed-up forgetting things...

17/08/2012 at 18:01

Little Nemo, that's my wondering as well, I know that the nice nurse putting it in said the new ones show up on Xrays now, apparrently the old ones didnot! I do know that its the ends of it being touched makes it release a small amount of hormone, as they tell you not to keep feeling for it as that will release a bit more. Its a bit smaller than a matchstick in size. I have heard people say they get their HRT in the same format but for some reason it was placed under the skin of the abdomen.
My mood improved on having the soya beans, long may it last.

21/08/2012 at 18:26

Saw the doc today, he suggested that it might be my thyroid levels are a bit out of kilter, as a long term underactive thyroid person I had forgot the symptoms of over active, although I have weight gain not lose, so I am booked in with the vampire aka practice nurse for full blood test to check all hormone levels.

Got given 11 pages of bumf on HRT to read. Roll on 14th September for the blood test. Nothing earlier due to bank holiday and being busy.

29/10/2012 at 22:15

Just popping in to say I got the blood test results, very high levels so definitely in menopause. Need to give thought as to what to do as the hot sweats have eased but been replace by swollen boobs. Will look at going back to Well woman clinic.

30/10/2012 at 09:18

Well I suppose having a diagnosis is good news in a way as at least you know what it is now.

Are you going to try HRT?

I've changed over to a combined oestrogen/progesterone pill that is the same dose all the time. No more periods! Hot flushes have virtually gone now and although I'm still a bit prone to mood swings I'm hoping that having a constant dose of hormones will smooth these out eventually.

Good luck!

LIVERBIRD    pirate
31/10/2012 at 10:34
I wish I were in the fecking menopause.
I have a uterine polyp the size of Brazil.
31/10/2012 at 11:36

Careful what you wish for. Although I do hear the end result is good.
My body has decided that after just a few weeks to have another period.grrr. This time it has come with a migraine headache, nausea and heartburn as well.
Must make an appointment to get sorted, this cannot go on. The downside is that implant removal or exchange means no swimming for a week.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.