Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,201 to 2,220 of 6,062 messages
28/08/2012 at 08:33
Good going SOLB. I've been chasing up hospital appts for Moo too. Now waiting for the physio to arrive.
Bathroom has survived childrens bathtime however my ear drums are still recovering...
28/08/2012 at 11:48

I want to go on a waterslide now - weeeeeee!

28/08/2012 at 17:35

Did you get anywhere by eck? 

I'm still feeling loads better, I feel like my reality is reasonably stable again now and I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time I have a couple of other things to straighten out with the CPN on Thurs but overall I've got off really, really lightly. I'm so, so lucky it was just a mini episode. 

I've just waged war on the jungle in the back garden, I didn't find any lions but I did manage to cultivate some blisters on my hands from wielding the lawnmower at the 60 foot high grass ... I'd like to say it looks better but the best I can say is that the grass now looks shorter

28/08/2012 at 17:58
That's good going SOLB. My garden resembles something like the 'before' photo on a home improvement show. It shouldn't take too much work to help it look a little better tho.
We made calls, confirmed appts, ordered meds, and then saw the physio. She is ever so lovely and takes loads of time to play with Moo whilst talking about what we need to be doing. It's not just the walking/hypermobility she helps with. Apparently he might be more hypermobile than he was before. She can bend his fingers right back, get his thumb onto the back of his hand and turn his feet out...
28/08/2012 at 19:31

Hi all, really hope everyone who are feeling down are slowly getting better. I'm starting to feel better but the grief still kills, went Reading Festival for the weekend, really didn't wanna go but didn't want to let my friends down. Glad i went but a really good friend of mine was with us, we got on like a house on fire, flirted all the time, i really like her and told her last night. Looks like she doesn't feel the same which is gutting!! But bollocks, i gonna go back to training with the club on Thursday and get back into the swing of things.

29/08/2012 at 06:20

Will that be more of a problem for little Moo by 'eck? 

Hey Green Pete, firstly there's no time limit on how you feel honey, You had Holly in your life for a very long time, no one expects you to suddenly stop feeling the loss. 

Ahh gutting indeed about the girl I don't know what to say, hope getting back into it with the club helps - I'm pretty sure it will. I think sometimes we just have to go back to basics and let ourselves pick up the rhythm again instead of worrying about all the stuff that's not working. 

Asthma review today really, really hope the nurse is sympathetic to the hinderence to sport - it's not day to day living that's the problem it's that I haven't been able to run more than a mile without the asthma kicking off - I have been cycling instead to try to improve my cardio in the hopes that would help but it doesn't and even that is getting worse. Though if I get a positive result with the nurse I'm going to have to sort out my eating before I can start exercising properly again anyway - which is probably a bigger challenge at the moment. 

Anyway the psychotic type symptoms have stayed away so I'm still chuffed to bits  

Have a good day all ... kettles on  

29/08/2012 at 08:47
Therapy tonight again. I didn't sleep well last night.

SOLB, I've already had a cuppa but I'm ready for another. Any chance of tea with Jo milk or sugar?
29/08/2012 at 09:50
Are you feeling ok about therapy?

I've only just got round to making the tea
29/08/2012 at 09:59
Perfect timing. Feeling a bit vulnerable, especially since I watched a programme about women with additional health problems having babies.
29/08/2012 at 10:02
Aww sweetheart hopefully the therapist will be able to make you feel less vulnerable before you do anything too heavy.

Sorry the programme knocked you a bit. You are doing really well (((by eck)))

Xxx
29/08/2012 at 10:47
The asthma nurse doesn't want to change the treatment cos the asthma isn't keeping me up at night and I'm not wheezing. She says to just persevere with exercise.
She also stabbed me with a vaccine just for something to do and had a good nosey through my notes even though she knew I just wanted to discuss the asthma.
On the plus side my inhaler technique is perfect
29/08/2012 at 12:38

for perfect inhalering

29/08/2012 at 14:27
I'm lonely I suspect I might have a nasty case of feeling sorry for myself and I should be making an effort to shake off the black cloud.
29/08/2012 at 22:16

solb, hope you are feeling better.

And good vibes to one and all. (it is Christmas isnt it?)

30/08/2012 at 19:56

Hiya, I need a bit of help as I've fallen out of love with running and its all brain related. Last year, I did a 10k pb on minimal treadmill training as part of a twice a week activity referral scheme for mild depression. On Sunday, I did the 10k again having trained better in the gym as I've gone back on the programme as I've now officially got 'moderate to serious depression'. Gym's the only thing I get a little pleasure from and I was confident of finally getting under 1hr. After a good 2k, I just lost it. I had to walk for a bit and I spent the first 5k planning when I could drop out. I managed to eventually finish but it was physically exhausting and mentally hellish. I came in over 6 mins later than last year. I vowed then to find a new sport to be competitive. I'd also been panicking on the treadmill last week, to the point of not being able to breathe. This was the first time its ever happened although i didn't have that specific problem on the race.

What's the best way to progress? Will i just choke if I take up another sport and find myself competing? Should I get back on the running horse or take a break to the spring?  I can manage 10 mins top of a piece of equipment but the endurance 'push through' ability has completely gone. I know I should be pleased to finish but the brain doesn't agree and I'm miffed it hurt so much for no gain.

30/08/2012 at 23:30

Hello ThinksTooMuch.

Sometimes, you just have a bad race. For a number of reasons things don't click and your performance suffers and often as soon you realise that your mood can dip which decreases performance.

I think enjoying the activity of running is key; focusing on the process rather than the outcome. I would say this for most things (though driving safely is pretty important outcome). When I've not felt in the mood to race or do whatever, I know I do badly. However, if I'm feeling good, feeling confident then I seem to up my game and everything's flows, at least for a while.

I think it's important to bear in mind that one of the symptoms of depression is usually lack of energy. Also, as many of us on this thread will admit to that it's very easy for that blaming and criticising part of ourselves to go rampant when things go wrong. I've not found a way to shut him the hell up yet, but recognising it is happening has a slightly disempowering effect.

Time to get off my high horse...

Hugs to my peeps!

31/08/2012 at 12:11

Hi TTM

I would agree with Ben-o.

I would also add that treadmill running is very tough. The scenery doesnt change, often it can be hot. Treadmills are not always accurate.Part of the difference in time might be simply down to using different treadmills - or a treadmill may have been recalibrated in the intervening time. So the difference in time may not be due to a worse performance. Higher temperatures will also play a big factor in adversely affecting performance - especially indoors.

Doing a time trial, automatically means being tough on yourself. I have found out that exercising consistently at lower levels of exertion are more more benefical to me. So instead of focussing on time, perhaps spend time try to run with good form (ie balanced, relaxed shoulders, being tall, cadance of 80) - if you focus on these things you might find the session goes quickly, and performnce will be better. Training doesnt have to be just cv.

I know many people do not want to run outside, but perhaps that would be a way of finding things to enjoy. An easy run in a nice scenic park can fun.

Good luck with it.

31/08/2012 at 16:14

Hello all and welcome TTM  
Sound advice there from Bos and Ben-o

I know I've been awol for a while - just been busy helping a friend move, then getting a bit of time away with Mr F. Back to work on Monday and trying not to wibble/throw tantrums about it. 
However, due to Operation Hobbit-Escape, I feel an awful lot better about not just work, but everything, than I did a couple of months ago, so game face is on 

How are you, By Eck and SOLB. Not that I'm fretting, just waving and putting on the virtual kettle  

31/08/2012 at 18:20
I frodo. I am still here and ok. just brain not doing the word thing very well
31/08/2012 at 18:23

Words aren't needed, lovely - just help yourself to tea and cake  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.