Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,221 to 2,240 of 6,031 messages
09/09/2012 at 22:37
The OCD therapy is going well ... annoyingly the list of safe foods shrank to nothing a few weeks ago so we are having to do that one first even though it is really big and we just wanted to do little stuff. I still feel very, very distressed but I'm eating again ... once its stable enough to get us out of crisis management we will drop it half done and get on with the plan. It's hard but I am starting to challenge stuff. I opened the door leaving the hotel this morning with my hand instead of my sleeve
09/09/2012 at 22:38
Good luck Frodo...with the cycle and the work
09/09/2012 at 22:38
The OCD therapy is going well ... annoyingly the list of safe foods shrank to nothing a few weeks ago so we are having to do that one first even though it is really big and we just wanted to do little stuff. I still feel very, very distressed but I'm eating again ... once its stable enough to get us out of crisis management we will drop it half done and get on with the plan. It's hard but I am starting to challenge stuff. I opened the door leaving the hotel this morning with my hand instead of my sleeve
10/09/2012 at 11:58
Had a really positive therapy session today, told Vicky how happy I'd felt getting drunk on dancing (and bottled water!) and she said its cos its like running for me. Freedom and movement just make me happy living in the moment. She was right I hadn't thought of it like that, glad I'm having a back to fit fortnight instead of seeing it as a chore to try to avoid extra meds

I'm tempted to cycle to the gym but I think that's over exuberance and I should stick to the plan, run today and cycle to the gym tomorrow.

I also got to tell Vicky about going to the Natural History Museum with SOLBsis and the mini's and how much I loved exploring through SOLBsismini's eyes. I nicked a cuddle from a lovely forumite who works there too

So nice to have had a positive, easy session and to be feeling positive about the stuff I have to do anyway!

Oh but I NEED cake now *pacmans off to the shop to buy ingredients for cake*
11/09/2012 at 00:59
Night all
11/09/2012 at 19:27

Hello SOLB & chums.

When the thread is quiet, I get a chance to catch up but I am hoping that the quietness is a good thing, peace and relief from personal demons.

It is good to see that new peeps still keep dropping in, and being welcomed.

Take care everyone.

11/09/2012 at 21:04

Well I went back to work today, for a half day.  It went well I think but since I've got home I've had several major wobbles, been being sick and shivering, and just been crying now. I keep telling myself to keep pushing but there's got to be a limit to how far you go with that

11/09/2012 at 21:45

Hope everyone else is ok. Hugs to all who need them

12/09/2012 at 13:24

ugh. just ugh. I need to have my tonsils out. Doubt they'll do it though.

13/09/2012 at 12:57

Hope things are good for people. Positive vibes to all.

13/09/2012 at 19:40

Just wanted to pop in and offer hugs and support to anyone who needs them.  You are all a wonderful bunch, even those who lurk but don't have the courage to post, because you all just keep going no matter what.  Sometimes it is hard but none of you ever give up.  You all have my respect

16/09/2012 at 19:18

hello all...I havent posted on this thread before, but thought some of you may "get" my ramblings!

I have had struggles with mood and depression on and off for many years. have been on various anti-ds over the years. currently not on meds, but have just started St Johns Wort to see if it helps. I took up running 2 years ago. went from 4 stone overweight couch potato to healthy BMI and finished a half marathon in just over a year (that is I finished the half in just over 2 hours - not a year - but built up to it over the year LOL)

however, over the last 12 months my mood hasnt been great, and especially over past 4 months or so. My motivation to run just dwindled. I have done hardly any running for a couple of months. I have re-gained 1 stone through eating rubbish(sometimes really just totally binging on sweet sugary crap I dont even really like that much) and drinking too much.I am totally convinced that running helps. I KNOW it makes me feel MUCH better when I get out regulalry, but even knowing that is sometimes not enough to battle the total lack of energy and motivation.

However - this week I have managed 2 runs,one Weds one today. Only 3.5 miles each - and I even found that hard  But I need some tips on how to keep it up. I really, really want to get back to being able to run 3/4 times a week. I would love to think I could build up to a spring half marathon, but it seems I manage it for a couple of weeks, then something happens and my mood plummets and I just cant face it, and weeks go by and I've done nothing....sigh..

I feel sad to think my fitness has dropped back so much when I worked so hard to build it up....but I want to see this as a new start...any tips???

16/09/2012 at 20:04

Welcome SW.  I can't really help you but just wanted to let you know that we aren't ignoring you.  This thread sometimes goes quiet depending on how people are feeling.  Sometimes people need some space and don't post for a while

16/09/2012 at 21:33
I am lurking. I tried making words happen but they didn't. Therapy is harder than I thought. But it will be so worth it.
Sw, try the c25k programme or the follow on one. I can't remember what it's called. Sometimes depression needs a structure to follow, a definite aim and achievement point, and a reward
17/09/2012 at 19:54

thanks for the hellos! I understand about it being quiet and people needing a break from posting. sometimes I post loads on forums, then I can for ages where I dont manage to post at all....Hope any of you that are struggling on on the up.

By'eck yes, some structure will help I think. I have several routes that I feel comfotable with - am going to try to plan out one to do on three/four days a week...and then stick to it!

well... I must be feeling a bit better as I managed to get out again today after work. Only another 3.5miles...but enjoyed it. took my lovely canine running companion out with me too for first time in ages...she loved it too!

sending encouraging vibes to those that need them.x

17/09/2012 at 21:38

that's great Sluggish!  What kind of dog do you have? My cats sometimes accompany me but they get distracted easily

18/09/2012 at 11:47

Hi All,

Hope everyone's good.

Hi SW, By Eck's right about structure and goals. I found entering race to helpful for a goal but also so I have a training plan and that gives me structure. I really enjoy running but get a bit lost without something to aim for.

Peace and love,

18/09/2012 at 19:46

evening all.

Today was sucky. Majorly sucky. But a bit of a change and in the positive I've reached my lowest so the only way is up.

My blood tests came back clear for thyroid issues so I had to admit that the crying, the sleep issues, the complete apathy for everything, the suicidal thoughts and the absolute desire for the world to swallow me whole were more than a possibly thyroid issue.

I've been referred to the talky people and given happy pills to be swallowing (had to promise not to swallow them all in one go) and I have to see her in 4 weeks. So. There we have it. I'm not allowed to take all the pills in one go, no more booze for me and I need to start getting better (again).

18/09/2012 at 20:57
Huge huge hugs Mimaduck, this is the hardest part. I know what you mean about taking them all in one go
18/09/2012 at 21:08

Thank you by 'eck. Big hugs back - it was a horrible day.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.