Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,241 to 2,260 of 6,031 messages
19/09/2012 at 20:01

evening all

Mimaduck. sounds like you had a really rough day yesterday. I hope things seem a bit less bleak today.

byeck I have 2 dogs. One is a 3 yr old cross breed rescue dog (possibly colliexlabxstaffie) and she is a great running partner. Our newer dog is a 1 yr old terrier mix, also a rescue dog and totally bonkers! I do take him running sometimes but he is hard work on a run - pulls loads, very jumpy, goes mad at random other dogs etc...and I dont really enjoy the run so muchj, so mostly he is getting long walks where I can concentrate on working on his issues for now!

Ben-o yes, I think I need to sign up to another race as it does help having something to work towards, and I then have more of a structured plan to work to.

well, managed a nice 4 mile run tonight which I really enjoyed. I have now managed 4 runs in last 7 days which is a bit of a record for me in recent terms! Was glad I dragged myself out tonight as I have been feeling quite rubbish all day and nearly chickened out, but of course I now feel better for getting out!

20/09/2012 at 21:48

thank you wonder - yesterday was better. Had an interview so had a distraction that I had to be brave and pretend I was normal and capable. Think it went well but I'll only hear back at the end of next week.

I have managed a whole 48 hours without crying - this is impressive. I went out yesterday with a guy from work (a nice one) and we had a lovely walk at Brimham Rocks and Pateley Bridge. It was lovely...and proves I need to get back to running and soon, just need the time, energy and inclination. Ugh.

24/09/2012 at 21:17
Erm, still alive but some stuff has been tough
24/09/2012 at 22:07
Aww loves sounds like we've all had a rocky time lately. I'm feeling a little stronger. I'll reply properly tomorrow cos today has felt very long already but I just wanted to let you all know you've very much still been in my thoughts.
*distributes hugs to old and new posters and any lurkers she happens to spot*
Glad you are all still here
Xxxxxxx
24/09/2012 at 22:07

oh by 'eck - big big cuddles for you xx

24/09/2012 at 23:11

Glad you're feeling a little stronger SOLB xx

25/09/2012 at 09:03

Hello everyone.

I'm people are still alive, you've been in my thoughts.

I was going to suggest taking a register, but it seems a bit superfluous. And I'm not that organised. And I don't have a register. It probably wasn't my best idea!

Peace and love,

25/09/2012 at 16:13

rubbish. terrible day. Had what appears to be an anxiety attack at work and was taken to hospital. I'm fine, they released me and I'm home. Very wobbly and a bit exhausted. Hoping the letter from the lovely doctor at the A&E to my GP will speed up the counselling appointment.

never had one of these before and not sure why it happened today - but it was bloody scary.

25/09/2012 at 18:08

Sorry to hear that Mima. A cup of tea helps and some cake. Do you know what caused the anxiety? Don't feel you have to say if you don't want to.

Anxiety isn't awesome but it won't kill you, despite when you can hear your heart pounding. I found recognising the early signs really helped and made me feel more in control.

25/09/2012 at 18:26

not a clue ben-o, it was like a bloody train hitting me and nothing before hand was worrying me. Hoping it was just a blip.

25/09/2012 at 18:50
Sometimes these things happen when our brains have started to feel a bit better. When the depression is at its worst the body goes.into basic survival mode and when we start to feel a bit stronger it then has the ability to deal with stuff (often in physical ways)
29/09/2012 at 22:28

Hope people are well and finding a way through things.

Havent posted recently but I have been exercising regularly, and this thread has played a big part in helping with that. So thank you, and hope things are getting better for people.

Edited: 29/09/2012 at 22:34
01/10/2012 at 20:22

Aww duck that sounds horrible, how are you doing now darling? 

I'm back now I think I might still be a little quiet but I am feeling much better and talking isn't costing me so much. I think the episode has burned out (though I missed therapy this morning, no idea what I was doing was having another absence.) 

So relieved to be feeling more like myself, have missed you all loads  

01/10/2012 at 20:28
Hey SOLB, it's been quiet
Now starting to think about my taper
01/10/2012 at 20:45

Woo hoo it's the 21st isn't it? So glad you managed to pull yourself back on track darling I know it was pretty tough at times. 

*sings and bangs a pan with a wooden spoon*  

01/10/2012 at 20:52
I did 17 miles for my lsr this week, and 14 the week before. I've had a dodgy back that miraculously got better. I just want to get round. Honestly, it's knowing that i'll be meeting friends that makes going worthwhile, and having friends here cheering that makes the training survivable
01/10/2012 at 21:29

We'll be mega cheering! 
I was thinking I might come up to support if I'm well enough and you fancy some extra pom pom wavers  

01/10/2012 at 21:43
Of course apparently my t-shirt is going to have my forum name on it
01/10/2012 at 21:52

wooo hooo I'll add it to the diary and pop over if I'm well enough  

02/10/2012 at 12:57

Oopsie, I took a sleeping tablet last night cos my body had forgotten how to sleep, it worked a bit too well. I've only just woken up 12 hours later  

I am planning to forage for breakfast then cycle to the gym. It'd be good if I could do some boring practical things first like doing a load of laundry while it's sunny but I don't want to put off going cos my motivation is a bit wobbly -  I'm scared I'll get lost, have never cycled this way, that I'm not fit enough and that the gym is too big and scary at the other end.  Truthfully though it's one of those JFDI things, I will never find out that I didn't get lost, that it wasn't too far to cycle and that the gym is just a gym and not scary if I don't go...sorry laundry, once I've got the first trip out the way I'll work on my little miss domestic routine promise. (I need to mould got into the wardrobe and chest of drawers in the damp damp house) 

OK breakfast time tea anyone? Or porridge? I'm putting apple and blackberry on today  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.