Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,261 to 2,280 of 6,055 messages
13/09/2012 at 19:40

Just wanted to pop in and offer hugs and support to anyone who needs them.  You are all a wonderful bunch, even those who lurk but don't have the courage to post, because you all just keep going no matter what.  Sometimes it is hard but none of you ever give up.  You all have my respect

16/09/2012 at 19:18

hello all...I havent posted on this thread before, but thought some of you may "get" my ramblings!

I have had struggles with mood and depression on and off for many years. have been on various anti-ds over the years. currently not on meds, but have just started St Johns Wort to see if it helps. I took up running 2 years ago. went from 4 stone overweight couch potato to healthy BMI and finished a half marathon in just over a year (that is I finished the half in just over 2 hours - not a year - but built up to it over the year LOL)

however, over the last 12 months my mood hasnt been great, and especially over past 4 months or so. My motivation to run just dwindled. I have done hardly any running for a couple of months. I have re-gained 1 stone through eating rubbish(sometimes really just totally binging on sweet sugary crap I dont even really like that much) and drinking too much.I am totally convinced that running helps. I KNOW it makes me feel MUCH better when I get out regulalry, but even knowing that is sometimes not enough to battle the total lack of energy and motivation.

However - this week I have managed 2 runs,one Weds one today. Only 3.5 miles each - and I even found that hard  But I need some tips on how to keep it up. I really, really want to get back to being able to run 3/4 times a week. I would love to think I could build up to a spring half marathon, but it seems I manage it for a couple of weeks, then something happens and my mood plummets and I just cant face it, and weeks go by and I've done nothing....sigh..

I feel sad to think my fitness has dropped back so much when I worked so hard to build it up....but I want to see this as a new start...any tips???

16/09/2012 at 20:04

Welcome SW.  I can't really help you but just wanted to let you know that we aren't ignoring you.  This thread sometimes goes quiet depending on how people are feeling.  Sometimes people need some space and don't post for a while

16/09/2012 at 21:33
I am lurking. I tried making words happen but they didn't. Therapy is harder than I thought. But it will be so worth it.
Sw, try the c25k programme or the follow on one. I can't remember what it's called. Sometimes depression needs a structure to follow, a definite aim and achievement point, and a reward
17/09/2012 at 19:54

thanks for the hellos! I understand about it being quiet and people needing a break from posting. sometimes I post loads on forums, then I can for ages where I dont manage to post at all....Hope any of you that are struggling on on the up.

By'eck yes, some structure will help I think. I have several routes that I feel comfotable with - am going to try to plan out one to do on three/four days a week...and then stick to it!

well... I must be feeling a bit better as I managed to get out again today after work. Only another 3.5miles...but enjoyed it. took my lovely canine running companion out with me too for first time in ages...she loved it too!

sending encouraging vibes to those that need them.x

17/09/2012 at 21:38

that's great Sluggish!  What kind of dog do you have? My cats sometimes accompany me but they get distracted easily

18/09/2012 at 11:47

Hi All,

Hope everyone's good.

Hi SW, By Eck's right about structure and goals. I found entering race to helpful for a goal but also so I have a training plan and that gives me structure. I really enjoy running but get a bit lost without something to aim for.

Peace and love,

18/09/2012 at 19:46

evening all.

Today was sucky. Majorly sucky. But a bit of a change and in the positive I've reached my lowest so the only way is up.

My blood tests came back clear for thyroid issues so I had to admit that the crying, the sleep issues, the complete apathy for everything, the suicidal thoughts and the absolute desire for the world to swallow me whole were more than a possibly thyroid issue.

I've been referred to the talky people and given happy pills to be swallowing (had to promise not to swallow them all in one go) and I have to see her in 4 weeks. So. There we have it. I'm not allowed to take all the pills in one go, no more booze for me and I need to start getting better (again).

18/09/2012 at 20:57
Huge huge hugs Mimaduck, this is the hardest part. I know what you mean about taking them all in one go
18/09/2012 at 21:08

Thank you by 'eck. Big hugs back - it was a horrible day.

19/09/2012 at 20:01

evening all

Mimaduck. sounds like you had a really rough day yesterday. I hope things seem a bit less bleak today.

byeck I have 2 dogs. One is a 3 yr old cross breed rescue dog (possibly colliexlabxstaffie) and she is a great running partner. Our newer dog is a 1 yr old terrier mix, also a rescue dog and totally bonkers! I do take him running sometimes but he is hard work on a run - pulls loads, very jumpy, goes mad at random other dogs etc...and I dont really enjoy the run so muchj, so mostly he is getting long walks where I can concentrate on working on his issues for now!

Ben-o yes, I think I need to sign up to another race as it does help having something to work towards, and I then have more of a structured plan to work to.

well, managed a nice 4 mile run tonight which I really enjoyed. I have now managed 4 runs in last 7 days which is a bit of a record for me in recent terms! Was glad I dragged myself out tonight as I have been feeling quite rubbish all day and nearly chickened out, but of course I now feel better for getting out!

20/09/2012 at 21:48

thank you wonder - yesterday was better. Had an interview so had a distraction that I had to be brave and pretend I was normal and capable. Think it went well but I'll only hear back at the end of next week.

I have managed a whole 48 hours without crying - this is impressive. I went out yesterday with a guy from work (a nice one) and we had a lovely walk at Brimham Rocks and Pateley Bridge. It was lovely...and proves I need to get back to running and soon, just need the time, energy and inclination. Ugh.

24/09/2012 at 21:17
Erm, still alive but some stuff has been tough
24/09/2012 at 22:07
Aww loves sounds like we've all had a rocky time lately. I'm feeling a little stronger. I'll reply properly tomorrow cos today has felt very long already but I just wanted to let you all know you've very much still been in my thoughts.
*distributes hugs to old and new posters and any lurkers she happens to spot*
Glad you are all still here
Xxxxxxx
24/09/2012 at 22:07

oh by 'eck - big big cuddles for you xx

24/09/2012 at 23:11

Glad you're feeling a little stronger SOLB xx

25/09/2012 at 09:03

Hello everyone.

I'm people are still alive, you've been in my thoughts.

I was going to suggest taking a register, but it seems a bit superfluous. And I'm not that organised. And I don't have a register. It probably wasn't my best idea!

Peace and love,

25/09/2012 at 16:13

rubbish. terrible day. Had what appears to be an anxiety attack at work and was taken to hospital. I'm fine, they released me and I'm home. Very wobbly and a bit exhausted. Hoping the letter from the lovely doctor at the A&E to my GP will speed up the counselling appointment.

never had one of these before and not sure why it happened today - but it was bloody scary.

25/09/2012 at 18:08

Sorry to hear that Mima. A cup of tea helps and some cake. Do you know what caused the anxiety? Don't feel you have to say if you don't want to.

Anxiety isn't awesome but it won't kill you, despite when you can hear your heart pounding. I found recognising the early signs really helped and made me feel more in control.

25/09/2012 at 18:26

not a clue ben-o, it was like a bloody train hitting me and nothing before hand was worrying me. Hoping it was just a blip.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.