Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,301 to 2,320 of 6,029 messages
05/10/2012 at 23:50
Awesome, thanks bear.
Not long until bedtime and tomorrow is a whole new day
06/10/2012 at 09:15

I have virtual porridge for people, if they'd like? I have real porridge for me.

I'm ok SOLB, I've got a new job which means I'll have to move which isn't the worst thing in the world. The job is also really exciting and a brilliant opportunity and it's more money. So that's pretty awesome.

What are people up to this weekend?

06/10/2012 at 09:46
That's fabulous news Ben-o I'm so, so happy for you. Yay!! Aww that's made my morning I am so pleased

Today I'm getting out of bed ... eventually ... and cycling to the gym in the rain if I'm not too lazy. I am knitting and cleaning too ... probably zzzzzz
06/10/2012 at 10:34

Get out of bed SOLB!

06/10/2012 at 10:57

Ha ha I did actually (unwillingly) just after I wrote that the postie knocked on the door .. he'd bought these from by eck

http://veggieadvisor.com/articles/vegetarian-percy-pigs/attachment/veggie-percy/

http://veggieadvisor.com/articles/vegetarian-percy-pigs/attachment/veggie-percy/

That was definitely worth getting out of bed for and I feel pretty awake now anyway (oops 

I'm just knitting one of these for an elephant obsessed friend who is in hospital. 

http://twinsknit.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/flower-power-elephants.html

Then I'll get my bike out and head to the gym after lunch, feeling much more positive today, though it feels like something dreadful and all my fault is going to happen if I look too deeply ... so I'm not looking! 

By Eck, thank you so much for making me smile this morning - that was such a cool surprise. I'm such a kid, I love getting stuff in the post - I'm so sorry I didn't ever post the stickers I bought just before the episode got too nasty I'll add something to the parcel and post this week  

06/10/2012 at 13:13
No worries hun. I wanted to wait until you were well enough before I posted them. The grumpy man in the post office smiled at the stickers.
06/10/2012 at 13:25

Ha ha I made myself look silly with my postie by exclaiming 'oooooo stars' when he handed it over ... he looked at me like I'd grown another head for a minute then solemnly walked away without a word

Gym time, catch you all later xxx

06/10/2012 at 13:26
That made me smile. Much needed today
06/10/2012 at 17:47

...and to follow that up, a nice swimble - that's two days in a row

06/10/2012 at 17:52
Fab news bear. If anyone else wants a package sent please PM me.
06/10/2012 at 18:46

I'm glad by eck. What a love you are.
My plans didn't go so well got ill cycling and had to get my Dad to come and rescue me 6 miles in. Think it was just asthma but breathing in sent a horrifically sharp pains from my chest to the top of my shoulder and down my left arm. It hurt to much to use the inhaler. Couldn't breathe in deep enough or hold a shallow breath. The blue lips are back. The pain was bad enough to make me cry. I tried to cycle through it, then stopped for half an hour to let it pass but it just wouldn't. Must be asthma though cos once I got in out of the cold it got better really fast. I don't want to ask for a review cos they'll think I'm being wussy and call it anxiety though I have had panic attacks I know what that feels like and the only time I am not anxious is when I'm exercising.
Bit different to my smugness after yesterday's run but I'm hoping its just a one off ... I feel very sick tonight but if I'm better tomorrow I'll try a run to Chicken and back to see if I'm OK before I run properly.
Feeling a bit cross. I have only just got my rhythm with exercise, wish my body would just work!
07/10/2012 at 09:34

A package of what By Eck?

Sorry about yesterday SOLB, do you feel any better today? I would like to think it's ok to go back to the doctor's and explain to them that it's asthma, not anxiety. I think those in physical health have a tendency to mix up the two sometimes! And hopefully one bad day doesn't mean then end, we all have bad runs sometimes.

I had a car crash yesterday, some tosser pulled out right in front of me and I manage to mostly avoid him but he clipped my rear. It's only superficial damage. I said at the time about going through the insurers (and he admitted it was his fault) but I'm worrying in case he changes his mind and then I'd lose out.

07/10/2012 at 11:11

I feel loads better today Ben-o, I think I'll leave it be for now. If it keeps happening I'll go back to the doctor but if it only appears occassionally I don't think it's worth all the hassle on all sides. I probably did something to trigger it, I'm still not very good at reading the signs cos I tend to be a push through it kind of girl.

I'm not sure whether to do some exercise today or tomorrow to see if I'm OK again, I'll see how the day pans out then either pop out for a little run tonight or maybe the gym so I can just stop if need be. Or I'll plan a celebratory I have no therapy run on Monday (cos Vicky is on holiday for two weeks)

Oh Ben-o that sucks, glad you're ok and that you still have your car in once piece-ish. I don't see why he would change his mind. There are more people out there that do the right thing than the wrong one, it's just you don't tend to hear about them cos it doesn't make such an interesting story. I left a note with my insurance details on when I hit someone's obviously very loved car in a car park, paid the horrible excess and lost my 10 years no claims ... I could have driven off but the scuff had damaged the whole of the front facia and the car was so obviously expensive and freshly polished pride and joy material I couldn't do it to them knowing that it was my fault. The guy saw you, spoke with you and knows it was his fault, I expect his kicking himself now for doing something so stupid but I doubt he's going to try to pull out.
Anyway you could still claim and let the insurance co's argue it out, doubt he'd start lying once it gets official having already admitted the truth. I'd be more concerned if he hadn't already admitted liability

07/10/2012 at 11:25
Solb is the best person to describe a by 'eck package
07/10/2012 at 12:21

I started from one I think with SOLB.

Its a shame its name on the main beginners page. I hope this will send it there.

I have Post Traumatic Stress and Bordeline Personality Disorder.

I ran as a kid, was not very fast but I enjoyed it as I could ignore what was happenning around me. Its how I coped.

I return not because I want to ignore whats haappenning but find space for my brain to have space on where I not only have come from, but also where I want to go to.

Great idea for a thread

07/10/2012 at 12:24

Hi,

Now that I have found this thread, and know where it is I would like to think, I would like to fit in this forum somewhere.

07/10/2012 at 12:28

SOLB, what you are going through with the asthma is normal.  It takes time to recognise the symptoms coming on and to learn what the correct reaction to that is - rest, inhaler, or pushing through it.  Asthma is always worst when you first get diagnosed with it as you don't have any experience.  Its a bit like learning to run - you would think that it was easy but actually most people get it wrong and blow up until they learn to listen to their body.  Give it time and try to learn to keep calm with an attack comes on.  The worst thing you can do is worry or panic because that makes it worse.

07/10/2012 at 14:10

Hi Sinbad, I'm fairly sure we can fit you in somewhere, there's space for everyone. Everyone's very lovely here. That's pretty impressive to have read all those posts!

Are you saying SOLB that people are basically trustworthy? Hmm...I would like to think so. I'm going to offer to avoid insurance and go private. It's a bit high risk but works out cheaper in the long-run.

07/10/2012 at 14:41

hi ben-o,

Sorry just read the first few.

I sometimes think most people are honest, most of the time. Its only when people with mental and or some physical difficulties. That they can't see beyond their own experiences, thus they shut out what they can't understand. Hope that makes sense.

07/10/2012 at 14:52

Hi all,

Ben-o sorry didn't read  your post about the car, the maajor thing is niether of you were injured in anyway. But I think like the others and that I don't think hhe will go back on what he said he would do.

SOLB, That's exactly how I feel when I  train. Its that time where some people switch off, and concentrate on their training. You should also be proud of yourself for owning up to scratch another car, not many people would have done that.

Hope not out of line in putting my two pennies worth with me  being new to this thread?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.