Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,361 to 2,380 of 6,062 messages
07/10/2012 at 21:44

It's not me you have to apologise too Ben-o ... it's Chicken

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/614453/gallery/chicken_0.jpg?width=350

(actually this isn't Chicken, this is a different Houdini Hen ... Chicken is much chubbier than this slip of a thing who happened to be outside the gate tonight)

to the soot covered Ben-o playing with fire. I'm really impressed. I always want to be altruistic enough to do stuff like that but I'm just not. I'm still really unreliable too. My doctor recommended these people Richmond Fellowship

It doesn't look likely that they'll accept my application because their nearest centre is quite a way away but I'm going to try anyway

07/10/2012 at 22:08

SOLB believe me when I say you are a very giving person already - your words have been invaluable to me and I'm hugely grateful to have you as a friend

07/10/2012 at 22:10

Awww Bear, you'll make me cry you soppy thing! I'm glad we're friends too

07/10/2012 at 22:28

Bear's right SOLB, you give a lot, more than most people who don't struggle with their own demons.

And don't think that the people who get into scouts or whatever are doing it because they're saints, they're not. Some do it because they love being in charge, some because they enjoy having power and control over others, some because their group was desperate and needed a leader. You get your own rewards.

07/10/2012 at 22:34

I guess you're right about people having their own reasons, I still think it's impressive that you do it when you could stay on the sofa instead.

I was feeling really miserable but I feel much better now.

Am going to ignore OCD's mandate and go to bed before midnight, I think I largely have that cracked now. I can go to bed when I want to more often than having to stay up for 0;00

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 22:34
08/10/2012 at 06:10
Arghh couldn't sleep for thinking inane little thoughts. Not even anxiety just pointless little conumdrums. I am cross with myself now. Pretty much a textbook case of how not to handle it!

Why is there such a link between sleep and poor mental health? You'd have thought sleep was a predominantly physical process, wouldn't you? Doing it again, it doesn't matter - shut up solb and go to sleep.
08/10/2012 at 09:18

That's ok SOLB, the other night I couldn't sleep til about 4. I just couldn't switch off. I'd even gone for a run that day and I tried reading but it just didn't make me tired.

A lot of the evidence now suggests that sleep's about not only physically re-charging and repairing, but almost mentally. The idea is that when you enter deep REM sleep your brain is sorting out all the information from that day. So when you don't get enough, your processes are slowed a bit because your brain has a hangover from yesterday. Also, when you physically tired and lethargic, it's very easy for that to affect your mood. I think for many years I took feeling tired as feeling sad.

08/10/2012 at 10:52
That makes a lot of sense Ben-o, thank you.

I can sort of see how you could mistake tired and sad. They feel similar, same symptoms and being tired makes you more sensitive and less able to cope.

I think I'm getting my tired signals wrong at the moment. I'm going to try imposing a morning alarm, I need some structure cos I always feel tired and its hard to establish a routine if you aren't consistent about what time you get up. I feel boring for going on about it but I need structure and routine, without it I feel aimless and despondent.
08/10/2012 at 11:27

Yeah, structure and routine are really important. And it's exactly that aimless and despondent bit. I need a goal, a plan, something to activate me. And this is true of a lot of people, particularly regarding work. Look at the number of people who choose to work for institutions (Universities, schools, prisons, NHS) because of the structure and routine that they often impose.

It's hardly surprising that the key component for helping people improve their mood is doing stuff. People who are bored and often depressed. There's also evidence that says that boredom is the biggest changeable risk factor for inpatient aggression.

Sorry for that, it's because you give me a bit of praise SOLB and what I'm working on at the moment is making me feel stupid. Oh well, what are your plans for the day?

08/10/2012 at 12:08

What are you sorry for Ben-o, it's genuinely interesting (and even if it wasnt you'd be allowed to say it here!)

I was talking about the need to be busy and not bored with someone else the other day .. though less eloquently. I honestly think the point that you start fighting the rut and start forcing yourself to do 'stuff' regularly is a real turning point to getting better - though I'm not sure if you can force that point along, it seems everyone has to reach it for themselves.

Oh Ben-o, sorry the stuff you're doing is making you feel stupid - you come across as pretty astute and intelligent for what it's worth ... maybe it's a case of the more you understand the more you realise you don't understand.

I want to cycle to the gym but I'm afraid of the asthma kicking off. I've also promised to call in and see my Dad and spotty cos Dad is feeling lonely (and I have a present for the spotty one) I may go see Dad then just drive to the gym. It's a bit of a cop out but I'm tempted anyway.

08/10/2012 at 12:23

Hi all,

I have read this page posts, and Ben-o you are spot on with the sleep concept.

I also agree wwith SOLB that a pattern and routine is essential, but it has to be one that is flexable, to me thats important, and something I have learnt from the Dialetical Behaviour Therapy group I have been attending for the past year.

Also, SOLB its not a cop out by going to the gym in the car, when your ready to try cycleing to the gym again you will. Perhaps, cycling then getting off and walking then back on again may work.

Ben-o you are perfectly right about SOLB the person is so genuinely giving that they have allowed me to feel that I have have been posting for months here, not just a couple of days. Thank you.

08/10/2012 at 12:32
Ben-o, working with kids is hard but really rewarding when you learn to appreciate the tiny ways they say thanks. In the last couple of months I was given a clay ( from clay pigeon shooting) and half a twix. Both were from kids I didn't think I had really done anything for, just smiled and asked them how they are occasionally. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm meant to do with the clay, apart from keep it in my cupboard of treasures to remind me that I do have a purpose.
08/10/2012 at 13:21

I agree - use the car for now to make sure you get to the gym but work on the asthma as well to get used to what pace works and how to adjust pace on bad days

08/10/2012 at 14:09

Hello again everyone and welcome, Sinbad *waves*

It's so good to have you back, SOLB and for this thread to be becoming livelier again. I have been doing really well too, but have crashed and burned this weekend, so am feeling very sorry for myself; sobbed in the car on the way to work, which I haven't done for months.

I'm hoping it will pass, but really I want to crawl home under my duvet and tell the world to sod off for a few days.

08/10/2012 at 14:18
Frodo, I have days like that too. I wrap myself in my favourite jumper and pretend I've done it with the quilt.

Did anyone see the programme on channel 4 about ecstasy? They are wanting to run clinical trials to see if it can help people with ptsd and depression. I would be so interested in this because of my history but I don't know if they would have me
08/10/2012 at 14:34

Hi all,

I have posted in the Can I give up booze forum the abuse that I have survived, this is a once only time I will do this extensively as I have in there. Could you please read it.

Wow didn't know abbout that by eck.

Im sure it will pass Frodo. Never give up hope.

08/10/2012 at 14:39

We already give children amphetamines so giving ecstasy as well doesn't sound too far fetched.

Sadly By Eck I've never been given any clay, though I think I once got some gumballs. It's nice how well kids respond to someone being kind to them, it's a bit sad that we don't do that enough as adults.

Sorry things aren't so good Frodo.

08/10/2012 at 17:06

Oh Frodo, I know that feeling.  Sending hugs ((( )))

I saw the programme on ecstasy - the brain science was really interesting to me. I reckon I'd volunteer to be a guineau pig

08/10/2012 at 20:56

Just wanted to pop back in this evening and give everyone a big (((hug))). 

I have to be very selective about the things I keep now from kids, otherwise I could probably fill a room in my house with stuff after 15+ years in various forms of education. 
One of the best things I got at Christmas last year was a pack of marzipan - one child had remembered a lesson I had given about Tudor food months earlier, where I mentioned a personal weakness for eating packs of marzipan myself  

08/10/2012 at 21:02
Frodo, what a fab present. Shows that you really connected with that child in that lesson.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.