Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,381 to 2,400 of 6,062 messages
08/10/2012 at 21:23

(Even better that it was accompanied by a bottle of wine  )

08/10/2012 at 22:44

Hi all,

I would like to think that someone did read my post in other forum? If not I understand why.

Hope your all okay.

09/10/2012 at 08:56
Hi everyone, I am trying to be positive today. My mum is on a real down at the moment. I suspect she may well be self harming again. In itself, that isn't a problem, but I am concerned about why. I know that she doesn't tell anyone what is going on so I'm left to guess. She goes on holiday next week for a month and that will either help or make things much much worse.
Sinbad, I have read your post. I won't try to make light of what you said in anyway, but there are people here who have equally traumatic backgrounds who don't feel able to post. That doesn't mean to say they don't understand or care, just that they are still in a different place. Some people here know my story and where I am with getting well but part of me being ill means I find it hard to link emotions to events and words. So I try to avoid doing too much talking or writing about it because I have to focus on getting some good quality feelings into what I say.
10/10/2012 at 15:44

Sorry for the silence guys, had a rocky few days but more depression than psychosis so that's really positive in terms of continued recovery from the weirdy episode. Woke up today feeling much more positive  

Hey Frodo, so nice to see you here again. 

sinbad I'm really sorry darling I can't read it yet, not because I don't care but because I can't cope with anything too close to my own experience just yet. I'd very much like to have a look once I'm a little stronger. I think it's great that you've shared, and it was a nice idea to signpost the stuff you've written for those that are able to have a look to get some understanding. 

I haven't directly discussed my history here, but I don't mind in the slightest if other people want to share here. I'll probably skip that post myself but never ever because I don't care or because I don't want to know. I know that a few of the others have provided brief histories, though I'm guessing it'd be an awful lot to trawl through to read them!  I hope you don't feel excluded or like no one is listening, we are and if there's anything you don't understand or a silly in joke that's a bit confusing please, please say. No one will mind explaining.

I'm working on the OCD with relation to food still, it's going really well but wow it's hard. I hadn't realised how bad it's been for so long. In other OCD news I think I've conquered the 0.00 rule  

10/10/2012 at 16:02
Hi yes i have OCD and mental illness too and i just wanted to say running is the best medicine ever. I love it so much and it makes me feel so good in my head for days after. I do OCD alot about running though it has kind of taking over my running i.e obsessing on miles and calories etc but i think its a good way to challenge my OCD on something positive and good for you. If i feel a black cloud looming in my head or my OCD gets too much i go for a run and my anxieties and black moods completely lift and everything seems fantastic. It is so weird. I have suffered with mental illness and OCD all my life and i wish i had discovered running years ago,as i could of been out of that black hole years ago.With running i can manage my illnesses. THANK YOU RUNNING!!!
10/10/2012 at 16:22
Hi Margrit
I feel EXACTLY the same, wish I'd discovered running years ago. I think back to all those times I read or heard that exercise is good for mental health and I think how silly I was not to try it then.
I feel the pull to get obsessed with running but more about a training plan becoming law then I need to pile more and more other exercise on top of it to satisfy ocd.
I wonder whether you could try a run you know really well, that you already know how far it is and how many calories etc, and leave the watch behind as a step towards breaking the obsession with figures and getting running back. So you'd know how much you'd done but you'd also have achieved a deviation from OCD's rules, then when that's ok you could add an extra loop, or choose another route without the watch. I'm finding little and often and just being bloody brave the best way to make progress but it really is hard. It's just a thought, you might not be ready yet, or happy with how things are

I'm benched again today, my asthma is really nasty but I'll run vicariously through you guys
10/10/2012 at 18:05

weird double post

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 18:06
10/10/2012 at 18:24
Just passing thru to offer hugs and remind people today is mental health awareness day
10/10/2012 at 18:33

*grabs a hug as by 'eck passes by* 
you ok chick?  

10/10/2012 at 19:22

oh I wasn't aware of that

Joking apart I'm not which is rather worrying, if people who it affects aren't it doesn't say much for the campaign

10/10/2012 at 21:05

Hmm that is a shame bear, I knew but only cos I've 'liked' Mind and Sane on Facebook. I haven't heard anything about it outside of that. 

I think awareness is coming on about Mental Illness generally, though I sometimes think people know what they are supposed to say and don't think they discriminate ... until it affects them and then they'd still avoid the crazy person!  

10/10/2012 at 21:05
Thank you for your advice SOLB. Big hugs to you all. x
10/10/2012 at 21:35

That was well timed Margrit, I was just thinking I could do with a hug

10/10/2012 at 23:01

Actually I've liked Mind too, how did I miss that?

Welcome Margrit - exercise is great

10/10/2012 at 23:21

Oops 

I'm off to bed, and it's not midnight ... see you tomorrow  

xxx

10/10/2012 at 23:24

yay for early sleeps

11/10/2012 at 09:28
Urghhh I wanna stay in bed forever and not go to the gym, but if I don't go in the next 10 mins I can't go today .... I don't want depressed lazitus to win but I'm sooooo tired
Have been shouting GET UP at myself since 7.30

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock etc
11/10/2012 at 09:52

Get a move on SOLB, otherwise you'll only use it as a stick to beat yourself with. I sound like my mother.

11/10/2012 at 13:52

Whatever happened please don't beat yourself up SOLB

11/10/2012 at 19:53

you are right Ben-o, I didn't bear. I did gym I felt better for it though asthma is still misbehaving. 
Had a nice day with my twin sis and her youngest and even saw my Mum for a cuppa this evening. I feel very loved! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.