Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

2,421 to 2,440 of 6,062 messages
12/10/2012 at 23:31

Catching a cold when you start your taper, yes. You push so hard for so long. Then you relax a little and the damn bugs come cuddle you while you sleep.

Night night all.

12/10/2012 at 23:45

Mmmmmm hot choklit - yes please SOLB

12/10/2012 at 23:46
Hello mouse!
*excitedly hugs mouse*
Feeling less cold and sick now, I think maybe just really really tired. I'm off to see if the sleep fairy wants another Percy (star)Pig

Night all
12/10/2012 at 23:47
Oo *delivers bear's hot chocolate first*
12/10/2012 at 23:55

mmmmm fankoooo

sleep tight *kisses SOLB goodnight*

13/10/2012 at 07:54

hi all,

Hope you have all slpet well?

Yes. I believe what some people here think. That when you relax after a tense build up to something, that everything body and metally lets go for a while. I don't think its a bad thing as long as yu listen to body and mind, and let relax till the body and mind recovers a little

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 07:58
13/10/2012 at 08:49
The taper germs came and cuddled me last night
13/10/2012 at 11:43

I did  

I was planning on cycling to the gym today but I think that might be a bit much so I'm going to drive to the gym and have a little run this evening instead  

Oh no poor poor by eck, can't believe the taper germs cuddled you. *SOLB gives by eck a massive cudde so there's no room left for taper germs* 

Am a tiny but blue but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to distract myself out of it today

13/10/2012 at 12:48
Thinks the taper germs have had all life squeezed out of them after solb's hug

Thanks Solb, here's one back
13/10/2012 at 13:25

Hi all,

Please explain taper germs?

13/10/2012 at 13:34
Ahhh; T. Mouse said she agreed with the idea that you can suddenly get ill after pushing so hard. Like catching a cold when you start a taper before a race cos you'd been pushing to do all the training.
By Eck is going to run a marathon soon so should be tapering, so when she felt a bit poorly she was probably attacked by the taper germs.
I don't know if that's any clearer, might be worse sorry.

I'm still lazy, why aren't I getting on with it? I have loads I want to do today
14/10/2012 at 13:03

I didn't stay lazy yesterday, tackled the garden wilderness that Creepy neighbour has left for 8 years, almost done now  

I hate sunny days though, creepy sits right outside our joint front door on a horrible grimey little chair chain smoking and drinking. 

He got very drunk yesterday and confronted me about not wanting to talk to him (again) He's so horrible, I know I should just go out any way cos that's what I want to do today but I just can't bear it. 

*SOLB climbs out of the bedroom window to hang the washing out again*

14/10/2012 at 15:00

Do you want me to come and punch his f***ing lights out, or would that be counter productive?

14/10/2012 at 15:25
I think that's an excellent idea Mr P, do you want some gloves? I don't think you'll want to touch him otherwise *shudders*
14/10/2012 at 15:55

Haha! Funny, but still illegal. And he'd only get drunk and ask why you got someone to beat him up.

If you feel threatened or harrassed SOLB then report him to the Police, that's what they're there for. I guessing that if this guy is unlikeable and creepy to you, he comes across to other people like that too. It's also likely that he's done this before and may be it's been reported, may be it hasn't. If you share the same housing provider/landlord then definitely report his behaviour. Whatever you do, do something because you deserve to feel safe and confortable in and around your own home.

14/10/2012 at 23:01

Trying to keep active - 2km run this evening to keep pace with my virtual gym buddy

15/10/2012 at 20:51
Solb, we did 4 miles in a super quick 38 minutes
15/10/2012 at 22:39

Good going by 'eck

18/10/2012 at 00:45

hey all

I had a really fab muddy run today, I loved it kinda reminded me why it's worth the hassle when I don't want to go. 

I've come home to an OCD nightmare though, the hot water tank has broken so all my rituals for washing up and cleaning are compromised. I've been in a real spin with it tonight, really, really struggling. I think I have it now. I feel really uneasy but not so unbearably frantic about it. I wouldn't like to admit how many times I've boiled the kettle tonight!! I am now wondering if my life would just be easier if I gave in and bought a table top dishwasher. I hadn't stopped to consider how much of an impact just the washing up ritual has but it takes about 2 hours start to finish and if I'm interrupted, I get the angle wrong for something or drop anything on the draining board or eight million other things I have to start the whole lot over again from the beginning. It's such a drain on time....although maybe that would be too much of a cop out and I should leave it to be worked on with the CPN. 

The food thing is still going brilliantly I am so thrilled, I had never imagined we'd get it to this point. I thought we were aiming to make the 'safe food'  list less restricted so I wasn't compromising my health so much with the missing nurtients or hitting too low on kcals but actually it's massively exceeded that. I can eat just about anything now, I still think about it but if I focus and rationalise and get a bit brave I can do it. I still haven't even started on losing control over  it all, eating something someone else has made, or touched or anything and I haven't tried eating in front of other people but I'm still just astounded. Eating more has also got the pleasant side effect of dropping off some of the excess weight mucking up my metabolism for so many years has caused  

Errrr am I babbling? I don't want to stop long enough for OCD to start shouting at me. 

I'm planning on going to Abingdon to cheer on by eck on Sunday (if I'm well enough) thought I'd see if anyone else fancied it ... we can eat all the jellybeans we bring for By Eck and slurp coffee and generally delight in our laziness! 

The plan for the next couple of weeks is to try running every day to see if that helps with the feeling that I don't have the right rhythm in my life to stay well. I feel like I've been trying and failing to get a decent routine for somewhere between 18 and 12 months now; now that my asthma is behaving enough to allow short runs I feel quite optimistic about using running to reset that rhythm ... it's worked before at least  

Right I suppose I'm going to have to sit quietly and have a little chat with my OCD mind otherwise I'll only stay up until I'm too exhausted, dive into bed then have to get up again because OCD has ambushed me with a horrible consequence that I don't have the energy to reason or fight my way through. Onwards and upwards and all that! 

Night everyone, thanks for being there (lurkers and posters alike) 

18/10/2012 at 10:55

Morning 

Today is feeling more manageable though it turned into a very long and annoying night! 

I'm off to the gym now for a gentle session and running a less muddy, hilly route than yesterday this evening. I do feel better for putting running in every day. Hope I've cracked the life's rhythm problem  

How are you all doing? Positive,, not so or somewhere in between? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.