Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

3,261 to 3,280 of 6,029 messages
26/11/2012 at 17:22
Oooh no. Sweetheart. Can't believe there's more poorly in your house today.
26/11/2012 at 17:34
Thank you Solb. Unless you want to come abd ocd tidy the house....

I will cope brilliantly becauas I have learned I need to look after myself properly. Tonight I will be having a bubble bath, reading a good book nd having an early night
26/11/2012 at 18:16
That sounds like a plan I'm glad you are going to look after yourself a bit
26/11/2012 at 18:20

Hi peeps

Sorry not to have been around but mummyBear had a nasty fall last night and is in hospital.  She's fine apart from a nasty bruise but they want to keep her in for a couple of days to check so if you don't see me then that's probably why

26/11/2012 at 18:31
Big hugs to mummy bear. Make sure you look after yourself bear. I'm sure you will be able to help her recovery.
Solb, I have learned I need to take care of myself when I can as things can deteriorate really quickly
26/11/2012 at 19:47

Oh Bear - it must have been a tough few hours for you. Thinking of you both

26/11/2012 at 19:55
How are you Frodo
26/11/2012 at 20:24

Thanks guys

26/11/2012 at 20:31
I'm ok thanks, By Eck
I've got a low-level headache that I can't shift, but there are people in worse.situations.

And, headline news time, I ran home from work today!! First run in weeks
26/11/2012 at 20:41
Wahey! And did the little darlings behave?
26/11/2012 at 20:43

This is my latest self-prescribed therapy, BTW: 
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/398160/events/1594566

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 20:44
26/11/2012 at 20:56
Awwwwwwwww, awwwwwwwww. So so so cute!
Is it working frodo?
26/11/2012 at 21:00

It is a definite mood enhancer

But it's not fixed the headache, so I'm off for an early bedtime. Night all  

26/11/2012 at 21:03
Sleep well. Hope you feel better in the morning
26/11/2012 at 22:34

Hi. Just found this forum and was keen to join in.  I've been struggling with depression for a long time now.  I do find that running helps - but actually getting out and running can be very difficult.  I run with two different groups but often I will head off out to drive to the meeting point feeling OK but by the time I get there I've totally lost my nerve and end up bottling out and driving home again without a run.  I've had some successes.  This time last year I set a new years resolution target of getting my 10k time down below an hour - and succeeded by doing it on New Years Day.  Things haven't gone quite so well since and my last 10k I struggled just to finish.  My aim is to complete a half marathon or even eventually a full one - but for now I'm having to set my sights on one step at a time in just getting out running again regularly.  Any help or support welcome.

27/11/2012 at 06:44
Hi LR
So glad you posted. I think all of us have been there at some point. It is really frustrating because you know it is good for your mental health, but at times it makes it really difficult. I often find the hardest part is actually starting. For me, it's getting my running gear on because that is a statement of intent. Please keep posting. We love to help

In other news, I have a big pot of yellow and green veg soup on the hob. I thought you could take some to mummy bear, bear?
27/11/2012 at 17:10

Hi LR, I'm generally a lurker but I think it only fair to pop my head in occassionally so that people know that I exist.

I find getting out the door hard and get around it by keeping my mind focused.  Forget why you are doing each step of your prep and just concentrate on doing it - 'I'm just going to put these shoes on, I'll just tie the laces, I'll just look for a water bottle etc'  If I think about actually running then I think of the cold and dark and never make it out of the door

27/11/2012 at 20:33
Solb are you ok?
27/11/2012 at 22:05

Thanks for your responses.  It's good just to hear from people who know what it's like.  I often find that I want to read running magazines but often find them of no help - in fact the opposite when they set things out like training plans which make it look like it''s so easy for other people when I know I couldn't possibly do that myself.  There does seem to be a lack of recognition of this type of problem.

27/11/2012 at 22:14
Yup, I have run 2 marathons on the back of some rubbish training because of family stuff getting in the way. I used to beat myself up over it but now I see running as something I enjoy
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.