Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

3,381 to 3,400 of 6,031 messages
02/12/2012 at 17:57

Sorry to hear it went so badly but hope you can sleep OK.  Good to see you can still take a positive view of a new week though.  I think I need a decent night's sleep myself.  Although I had a couple of better days before today I still haven't been sleeping well - hence my own late night postings on Friday night.  I was up late and drunk - but not as late or as drunk as 'in trouble' Bear it seems!  Maybe not though - it's just come back to me that I was having one of my 'YouTube' sessions picking out favourite music videos, listening on headphones whilst singing along.  What a delight for the neighbours through the walls! 

Tuesday night's my next attempt at a run.  A couple of friends of mine have started turning up at the running club and I have found that makes it a bit easier turning up if they're around.

02/12/2012 at 18:04
Sorry to hear the swimming was too much, SOLB
I finish on the 19th, so 15 working days left

LR - I totally recognise the feelings you describe, especially about work and running where no one can see me. As the guys on here know, it all got too much for me in the summer, and the only way I could cope was by practically giving up on everything but work so I could concentrate on just getting through each day. Then, when I had some time off, I could put myself back together and build my life again.
02/12/2012 at 18:06

Yeah, we'll get a good nights sleep then hit next week with some (slighty fixed) smiles. 

*sings* Bad bear, bad bear, baaaad bad bear! 

YouTube session sounds quite nice ... though perhaps the neighbours don't agree.

I have a massive 'to do' list tomorrow, most of which needs to be done before I leave for therapy at 9.20 so I'll probably skip running until Tuesday. I feel like I shouldn't but then I'm trying to remember not running doesn't make you a bad person. 

I'm definitely running Tueday cos SOLBsis and I are twins and it's our birthday, we have a traditional birthday run which is usually hillier and longer than anticipated  

I find it easier to get motivated running with people but I don't know anyone who runs regularly in my area and I'm too chicken to approach running clubs. Just got to have faith it'll all come together somehow. I've made more progress in the last 12 months than I ever could have imagined, sometimes I just need to remember that! 

02/12/2012 at 18:08

X-post Frodo. 

I don't have anything particularly profound to say but this seems like a good idea ((((Frodo)))) 

02/12/2012 at 18:25

*wails*

I wasn't a bad bear

02/12/2012 at 18:27

SCaz told you off so you must have been a nawty bear! 

02/12/2012 at 18:38
Thanks for the hug, ((SOLB)) but it's funny, even with all the sadness and difficulties of the last month, I've not felt half as bad as I did back in June-July time. There was clearly something very much up with me then - I can see that more clearly now

I don't think you've been naughty, Bear. Or that your drunken posting was at all bad
02/12/2012 at 18:41

Bear wasn't very naughty.  I'll probably forgive him in about 2034

02/12/2012 at 18:45
Very tired but happy.
02/12/2012 at 18:50

2034 - that's less than two hours time so that's not too bad!!!

Thanks Frodo.  I certainly do have to make keeping going at work the No 1 priority.  I do know that if I can get to point where I'm able to enjoy things outside of work more though - that it can make keeping going at work a bit easier.  The crucial thing is for me not to get more depressed when things don't work out.  Glad you're doing better now. 

02/12/2012 at 18:52

As someone who ended up going off work (and still off) I'd definitely try sticking with work as long as possible; being off in a way makes depression worse.  Not that I could stomach work at the time but I'm wishing there was some less stressful option - the same now really

02/12/2012 at 19:01

Yes, I would agree.  I'm sure I would be worse if I didn't have work to go to.  All of this means I should actually good about being able to go to work tomorrow.  Easier said than done - but it is vital for me to cope as best I can whilst I'm there.  It must be difficult for you once you're off to make it back - assuming the job's still open - or finding work again if not.

02/12/2012 at 19:04

Yes that's pretty much the stage I'm at now - need to go back but don't want to start at the stressy level of the full job

02/12/2012 at 19:34

Hope you make it back to work Ok then.

02/12/2012 at 19:40

I'm waiting for a volunteer agency to contact me - think I'll chase them up this week.

Sorry your swim didn't work out SOLB, there's always another day to try again

02/12/2012 at 22:43
Night all
Xxx
03/12/2012 at 07:56
Urghhh I have loads to do today and not enough time to do it *bounces out of bed* had better get on with it then. Coffee anyone?
03/12/2012 at 07:59
Is it really morning? Moo thinks morning starts at 6am and needs to be welcomed with the cry "mummy,mummy,mummy,mummy..........." until someone appears and gets him up. Mr by eck thinks I need to start planning on getting up at 6am so he doesn't wake little miss. Erm, that'll mean 9:30 bed for me and him being super quiet coming to bed.
03/12/2012 at 08:25

Morning

I think i spent more time doing stuff this weekend than i did all last week, Reffing, Painting and a Christening...

back is in pieces today and got more to do when i get home.

Happy Monday

03/12/2012 at 12:07

Oooooh coffee please SOLB

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.