Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

21 to 40 of 6,029 messages
16/05/2011 at 06:44
For runners health is main concern, For reducing the depression Pilates exercise is playing the important. In Pilates exercise only the muscle required for particular activity is use while the rest should stay as relax. In this way relaxation of the body is selective as we only engage muscles that are needed. This technique can be employed to maintain the stress and strain on the body. . No medicine is help to reduce the stress but Pilates movement helps to reduce the stress. It also help to increase energy, improve circulation and range of motion, and strengthen the spine improving flexibility which promotes recovery from injury.
16/05/2011 at 22:33
PHEW made it, 12 miles done - that's the last proper run before the marathon on Sunday. My fitness has suffered pretty badly and I was running a whole minute and a half slower per mile than before ... I ache a bit where usually I'd have barely noticed the run. Maybe I should be feeling rubbish but I'm feeling pretty happy instead.

It's going to be slow but I'm going to make it - that's what this marathon was all about. They'll be other marathons to run fast, this one is just about beating the demons and crossing the finish line and I feel more determined than ever that they will not win.

Mariya it's good to hear that you've found something to help with stress (although sorry you needed help in the first place - it must have been difficult for you) I've never tried Pilates, perhaps I'll give it a shot.

Thanks everyone
17/05/2011 at 08:09
she_of_little_brain wrote (see)

PHEW made it, 12 miles done - that's the last proper run before the marathon on Sunday.

I'm feeling pretty happy.

It's going to be slow but I'm going to make it - that's what this marathon was all about. They'll be other marathons to run fast, this one is just about beating the demons and crossing the finish line and I feel more determined than ever that they will not win.

Whoop-whoop - well done, SOLB

(I picked out the important bits for you )

17/05/2011 at 23:41
*Frodo* thank you so much for that ... Now why oh why don't I have a mini *Frodo* living in my head along with the spiteful voices? I'd be so much happier with all that sage, supportive and positive advice skipping through my head ... perhaps I'll have to use 'now what would *Frodo* say' this week!

I think the Thanks was pretty important too - can I add that bit back in please?

18/05/2011 at 23:57
I am probably not going to be able to run the marathon after all that.

My twin sister was diagnosed with a rare heart defect today. As we are identical it is very likely that I have a hole between the two ventricles too.

Unfortunately the breathlessness on exertion, the fainting, the blue fingernails when running, exhaustion, declining performance and arrhythmia all add tot he likelihood of me having the disorder.

The consultant cardiologist has told me I cannot run at all (let alone the marathon) until I've had an echo. Unfortunately they probably won't be able to schedule one until next week although he is doing his best.

If I do have a hole in my heart and I run the marathon I am risking sudden death (and will have been doing for every long run I've already completed, each one probably making the hole slightly bigger)

I have my fingers crossed that the consultant is able to squeeze me in and that my heart turns out to be normal after all.
19/05/2011 at 17:19
Fingers crossed x x x
19/05/2011 at 17:24
(((SOLB and sister))) as Sarah said, hoping for a positive outcome for you both.
Very best of luck x
19/05/2011 at 17:35
Bloody hell SOLB, when you're luck's out it really is a long way out.

It's not a condition I know anything about, what effect it has on lifestyle or how it can be treated, but clearly you need to get to the bottom of it. Very sorry to hear about your sister.
20/05/2011 at 01:22
Hi all
I'll pass on the hug to my twin sister - she is still pretty poorly however she is stable now. She will be in hospital for at least another three weeks.
I managed to get an echo. I can run if I run slowly and keep my heart rate down. The registrar is not happy with me running but he hasn't completely banned it either.
I have a cardiology appointment next week (it usually takes months to come through) so that should tell me a bit more about what's happening.
I am going to try to run the marathon but to go into it fully prepared to both run slowly and drop out if I am feeling ill.
I'll have to be good because I'm looking after my sisters little girl while she is in hospital. My niece is gorgeous and naughty and 3 - I'll have a great time hanging out with her, we are very good friends but I am really struggling with worrying about my sister.
Sarah, Frodo thanks for the luck. JT141 correct my luck tends to hover somewhere around the horizon - I sometimes catch a glimpse but it doesn't stick about for long!
Oh well - at least I get to prove to myself I am determined and stronger than I think I am.
Please keep your fingers crossed for Sunday (and for SOLBsis)
20/05/2011 at 22:37

SOLB
You and your twin are in my prayers.

21/05/2011 at 09:40
Please take it easy when running ! Hopefully you have a heart rate monitor..... And just think of the hugs you will get from your niece when you finish
22/05/2011 at 20:46
Been thinking of you today, SOLB - hope everything went OK
22/05/2011 at 21:22
Oh dear I hope ur feeling better? Just seen your post and I have to say putting in the training and effort u owe it to yourself to carry on. You know how much better u feel after. Focus. And be kind to yourself. As a fellow runner who battles depression ( running helps me massively!) I understand. Let us all know how u get on. Big hug?
23/05/2011 at 07:53
Hey
I ran in 4.44 got into cardiac difficulties through miles 6-10 and 20-23 but other than that I loved it.
In fact I was grinning (grimacing) so much I was known by a group of supporters as 'smiley girl'
I had such a good day - am not even particularly sore today
I'm off to look after SOLBsis now
Thank you all so much for your support and positive thoughts
x
23/05/2011 at 18:54
Phew!
23/05/2011 at 19:00
Well done, SOLB

Now get thee to a heart doctor, pronto!

(And hugs to SOLBsis too - hope you have some positive news soon )
23/05/2011 at 19:04

Brilliant Brainy, well done.

I'm sorry, don't take it the wrong way, but I loved "got into cardiac difficulties" 

Good luck at the doctor's.

23/05/2011 at 19:20
Hooray!
23/05/2011 at 23:06
Thanks for the prayers and positivity. My niece had been practicing running all day ... was so cute - she has a much better victory dance than me too!

Jenny hope you're well at the moment, I am continually amazed at how effective running is

Heart doctor is doing loads of tests; another echo, 24 hour trace, bloods, chest x-ray etc etc so will soon have a solution and hopefully he'll get me back on the road again

Ha ha Mr Puffy fair point

USB I agree!

Not feeling quite so smug now ... my legs are starting to feel a little more sore so I'm wondering if DOMS is lying in wait for me ready to pounce first thing tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your support - it really has made a massive difference

23/05/2011 at 23:19
Really chuffed for you. Good time too. First of many maybe. Hope the battery of tests aren't too arduous and your sister is faring up. Have a relaxing day and bask in the glory. Very impressed.
21 to 40 of 6,029 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.