Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,521 to 4,540 of 6,055 messages
06/01/2013 at 10:28

Good luck with the swim Caz.  When I was swimming regularly I would only do the adult only sessions - it meant swimming after 9.00 pm though.  Perhaps we should call it the Virtual Running and Swimming Club so your swimming counts towards the overall effort.

Thanks SD, I'm going for it now - breakfast, that is.

06/01/2013 at 11:05
Black dog is lying on me today
06/01/2013 at 11:09

((((by eck)))

He can certainly be one big heavy dog.

06/01/2013 at 11:11
Yup. I'm trying to decide whether to try breathing into his ears to make him move or if that would make him snap at me
06/01/2013 at 11:22

I guess you've got to decide that his bark is worse than his bite and go for it.

06/01/2013 at 11:43
*I chickened out*
06/01/2013 at 11:51

Would a bigger hug help?  ((((((by eck)))))) That's all I've got.

06/01/2013 at 12:00
I decided to tickle his tummy
06/01/2013 at 12:07

Yay!  Try shouting 'Walkies!'.

06/01/2013 at 12:15
He's not hugely scary, just very good at getting in the way
06/01/2013 at 12:22

I need to do a 2 and a half hour swim LR, but the adult only session is only 2 hours long in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.  I don't really want to go too late as then it makes it difficult with dinner

06/01/2013 at 12:30
I need to run but I feel yuck
06/01/2013 at 12:44

Well I'm heading out to the woods at 2.00.  The VRC run is on if you can make it.  Oh, and SD, I am doing jobs between all these posts, honestly.

06/01/2013 at 13:17

Yesterdays 4 miler turned into a 10k as my ipod / Nike+ sensor was playing up so just thought 'sod it' and did a distance / route a knew....maybe shouldn't have done the 5k today though...am now being a grump cos my time was rubbish. Have developed a really good skill of being able to beat myself up! OH keeps telling me not to get obsessed with times, but me and my brain say 'yup he's right ya know' then go and do the exact opposite ....if only I could switch that bloomin' little voice off!!!

06/01/2013 at 13:28

((())) to all those that need.
we went to a neighbours house for a few hours last night, for a little party, well very grown up nibbles and drinks and chatting really. Mr CJ was OK and found chatting to others seemed to ease his worries, it certainly helps being able to talk.
No run for me today, but did get on my exercise bike for a while.
Sorry if I don't pop in too often, but will keep up with all thats going on.
Leaves a pile of (()) for future use.

06/01/2013 at 13:38

CJ, your avatar is in a swimming costume.  Does that mean you are a swimmer too?

06/01/2013 at 15:40

Another no-run for me.  Got out to the woods again.  Not so much anxiety problems today as just couldn't be bothered.  Felt like I'm fat and overweight and always will be so what's the point.  I'm OK about it though - just decided my time would be spend more productively on other things and try to get myself in a better frame of mind to have another go tomorrow.

Sharon - it's a difficult one re being disappointed with times.  I think it's important to set targets to keep motivated and ultimately feel a sense of achievement.  Inevitably, in doing so, it's disaapointing when you fail to meet targers.  I think the important thing to do is remember that running is something that should be enjoyed.  I always have a poor run whenever I do the Lincoln 10k.  The atmosphere of the event is brilliant and I should just enjoy being a part of it, despite how badly I run.  It is easier said than done though.

06/01/2013 at 15:49

Right, I'm off swimming in a minute.  I'll report back in on the number of people in the pool later.

06/01/2013 at 16:13

Just popping in to say hell again. thanks for the offer. I dont normally drink but I had a few last night  4 cans and 4 bottles of foster. That is a lot for me, I hadnt eaten either. I do not drink that in a month never mind a night. 

So as rough I was this morning, I still went out for a 7 Mile run, if I did not do it I know then I would be disappointed in myself. So even though I was definately not in the mood and could have easily given it a miss I still did it. I certainly felt better for it in the end. 

So I gues I get a tiny feel in what you feel like, by using that as an example, well it the best I can give, not understanding depression or having a Mental Illness. 

My first question is then do you all have a Mental health Nurse signed to you. If you do have one how long do you stay with the Mental Health Nurse or do you have a few. 

If you do have one, how long did it take before you were assigned one. 

06/01/2013 at 16:16

I would like to mention a training tip actually. When you training they should be relaxing runs not racing runs. Infact what every your fastest time is you should train between 1 to 2 minutes slower. Longer Steady Miles let the body adapt better. 

If I raced all the time on training I would be off the road more then on it. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.