Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,641 to 4,660 of 6,031 messages
10/01/2013 at 20:57

I think we need a bigger hugs blanket. 

By eck, I can't imagine the stress and frustration you must be under. I wish I could give you a propper big real hug. Can you phone the hospital for any advice? 

I had a little wobble today but it was for the right reasons. I was asked a couple of times today about why I had been moved to work there, leaving my old job in chaos. They had been really nice and said they hoped I would stay on the lead up to it so I took a deep breath and told them I'd had a breakdown and that I needed a change to get my confidence back. They were very good and understanding and I then had to fight back tears for a couple of hours. I didn't say anything about relationship difficulties with my old colleagues though and don't plan to. 

Anxiety is awful. I hate that more than the depression. My initial therapist before the funding was cut was great at helping me on that. He said that I see a paper tiger and react as if its a real one. I found that a good way of explaining to people. 

Hope tomorrow brings more joy. 

10/01/2013 at 20:57
That's great By Eck - I hope it meets your expectations
10/01/2013 at 20:58

Thanks, fros t, haven't heard of that but will certainly try it.

Bricki's next instalment is obviously keenly anticipated.

10/01/2013 at 21:02

Well done, SD.  Hopefully that clears the air on that one and you don't need to worry about it coming up again.

10/01/2013 at 21:13
It did. I'm also liking the paper tiger illustration
10/01/2013 at 22:01

Hope it goes better for you next time Lincoln Runner, I am also a runner from Lincoln (we probably go to the same club?) If it is that club then there's so many of them its hard to get to know people lol. Different faces each time, hard to find your place amongst them.

10/01/2013 at 22:17

*de-lurks* 

Night night all

(welcome Fresco *waves frantically*) 

10/01/2013 at 22:20

Thanks, Fresco.  I think it is a different club though as a bit of research seems to show you're with Lakeside?  It will help with a second group being set up on a Thursday though - so I won't have my problem with my phobia of fitter runners then.

10/01/2013 at 22:23

Night, SOLB.  Saying 'Yah boo, sucks' to the midnight rule tonight by the looks of it.  I'm impressed.

10/01/2013 at 22:42

Used to be with Lakeside, should maybe update my profile!

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 22:44
10/01/2013 at 22:51

Oh, right.  I was being extra devious and looking at results from a certain race you did about a year ago.  I was entered for the same race - but wrote it on my calendar as Sunday instead of Saturday.  Not suprisingly when I turned up there was no-one there.  My postings today are giving the impression that I'll come up with any excuse not to run - as in my 'Please sir, I can't do orienteering today.  I left my kit in the Lake District' that I mentioned earlier.

11/01/2013 at 02:56
Evening you lovely people. Lots of posts to catch up on after a long shift at work. All this tall of disabling anxiety is really striking a chord with me. Over time my 'story' will no doubt all come out, bit anxiety was a massive part of my depressive illness. Anxiety about completely rediculous things that to most people would seem pretty darn stupid
I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to write a book. It might take a while, but hopefully it will complete my journey and assist colleagues of mine on their own.
11/01/2013 at 04:06
Wow a book sounds cathartic and scary.
I've got to leave in a hour *groans* so I need to start moving.

I think anxious over stupid things is a pre-requisite for anxious illness otherwise it'd just be having a scary time.

I really hope today is happier *tightly crosses fingers*
11/01/2013 at 07:53

Got to drag myself out there again.  Whilst I've been feeling better this week, I've had that feeling that, even a temporary setback would be quite tough to deal with.  As it is, I've got to look at it as - it's the wrong end of Friday, just got to push on with the day and look forward to the right end.

Have taken positive action though, have sent a message to the run leader last night about what happened and asked for it to be passed onto other run leaders in the club as I think it would make things easier for me there if others are aware of my situation.  Obviously, as it proved last night - one person already is!

11/01/2013 at 12:44
Morning folks. Crap day here! Overslept, missed my gp appt, got ridiculed over the phone by the arsey receptist when I tried to apologise. Now run out of medication as gp was due to up the dosage this morning so now left waiting till Monday. Happy Friday!
11/01/2013 at 15:46

*sends Paddington stares to the receptionist*

For once I don't have anything to say, but I'm still here handing out hugs

11/01/2013 at 17:35
Cheers caz! That's a pretty deadly stare you have there! Receptionists are not the most amicable but thankfully the doc who knows me is and he personally rang me later and squeezed me in. A top bloke who I owe a lot to. All sorted now, in a better mood just in time for a night shift tonight. Hope you've all had a positive and productive day?
11/01/2013 at 18:25

Good you hear you got sorted Mr F.  Quiet day on here for once.  Not so for me, really hectic at work.  That suits my mood just fine, just that in current state it is very tiring so I'm ready to take it easy.  I've been sensible and have turned down an orienteering event tomorrow.  Got a really nice message back from last night's run leader who welcomed my explanation as she was concerned about me.

11/01/2013 at 18:25

Hi all,

Sorry I've not posted in ages, I've now got the internet after moving house. Seriously, how do people live without it? It's so useful!

Hi Mr F, a book sounds good.

I get anxious over small things too, sometimes I can't even tell why. I'm more anxious than usual as I've started a new job.

Hope everyone's good.

11/01/2013 at 18:32

Hi Ben-o, glad you've got the internet sorted.  Getting quite a good gathering on here so it's good to be able to add another former regular to that.  My laptop screen display is gradually going on the blink.  I constantly hold off getting anything done about it because I don't want to be without it. 

Good luck with the new job.  Hope you've had chance to catch up with SOLB's impressive recent progress which we're all really pleased about.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.