Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,661 to 4,680 of 6,029 messages
11/01/2013 at 18:32
Cheers Ben. Had thought about it for a while now, I like the idea of others possibly learning from my experiences. I guess knowing that your not alone is a big help.

All tee'd up for a relaxing weekend LR?
11/01/2013 at 18:36

Sounds a lovely gp you have there mr f.  Remind me never to cross Caz - I don't want one of those stares. 

I didn't do my lunch time run and sat in the canteen with fish and chips instead.  Regret it now and might have to run round the park tomorrow morning instead. Anyone got any pom poms to hand? 

Then I had a panic attack this afternoon and still quite on edge now. I've had an email telling me about a meeting next Thursday to feed back on my greivance at work. I didn't expect anything just yet and I went into hyperventilating and immediateldy started worrying that it isn't going to be upheld and I'm not believed and that I might have to go back etc etc. I've gone through the CBT stuff and identified that I'm jumping to conclusions and catastrophising with is a thinking error. Another way of looking at it is, I decided, that it might be in my favour or might not be so there is no point in getting contingency plans together till I know more. Does that make me feel better?  A little bit but the tiger still looks fierce and snarling rather than paper. *takes deep, calm breaths*

Sorry for rambling on. Happy Friday everyone, hope the weekend is good for you. 

11/01/2013 at 18:40

Missed a few posts there.  Hi Ben-o.

Good news from the run leader LR. 

11/01/2013 at 18:48

Thanks LR, I'm much the same with my driving licence. I need it all the time so can't send it away to update my address. Which in itself creates its own problems.

Sorry about the panic attack SD, they're horrible. I use CBT on myself too, I can't seem to control the anxiety at the time so much, I can understand it afterwards though. I suppose whether you get anxious or not, it will not affect the outcome. I'm not sure if that makes it any less scary, but I important meeting are scary, that's normal. I think I've talked myself into a circle.

Right, time to back track through some pages and catch up with SOLB's achievements...

11/01/2013 at 18:52

Thanks Ben-o. Thats a good point about anxiety not influencing the outcome. Thanks. I forget its not what happens that makes me anxious and depressed but how I react to it. Easier said than done though. 

11/01/2013 at 18:53

Hi, I wondered how others have got on with running and medication, I've just started vanlafaxine and am training for my first marathon in may. Thanks for any experiences.

11/01/2013 at 18:59
Seth, I think different meds affect people in different ways. The first I was prescribed was citalopram which I didn't get on with at all. It really disagreed with me. I also now take venlaflaxine which gives me no side effects whatsoever after the initial couple of weeks of acclimatisation. Fingers crossed is has a similar effect with you.
11/01/2013 at 19:05

Thanks, I've tried lots of different meds, and I've always had some side effects. Dry mouth usually gets me and either increased or decreased appetite. See how this goes hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the running.

11/01/2013 at 19:07

You're welcome SD. I really like acceptance and mindfulness, though I'm not that good at it. Well, not with anxiety. Sometimes I think somethings are inherently stressful or anxiety-provoking, because they're important. I guess it's about managing/containing those anxious feelings so they don't feel out of control. I can talk the talk...

11/01/2013 at 20:05
((( NEW POST )))

The Dark and The Light
Day 31
I see a manatee that needs a hug

http://brickibarthez.tumblr.com/post/40272030389/day-31
11/01/2013 at 20:09

Panic relieving hugs for SD ((((Soup Dragon))))  I have special hugs for all occasions.

Advance orders are sounding good on the book, Mr F.  Just the small job of your writing it to be done.

Seth - I have only recently started on medication and am on citalopram.  In that time I have managed to get out running more - but that is more due to the wonderful support and encouragement that I've had on here than the medication.

11/01/2013 at 20:28
(y) bricki
11/01/2013 at 21:38

Been quiet today, by 'Eck, which doesn't look the best of signs to me so ((((by 'eck))))

11/01/2013 at 22:11
Another tough day.
Thanks for the hugs.

Any news of Solb or bear
11/01/2013 at 23:28

I'm fine, just been studying for my teaching Monday. All that and improv eeek! Expect a pooped bear on Tuesday

12/01/2013 at 00:37

Its only Rock and Roll but I Like It.   I've found a great anxiety distraction. Just got back from seeing a Stones tribute band - Rollin Stoned. We were stood right at the front of the stage and I've danced and sang along till I'm hoarse and shattered. 19th Nervous Breakdown had special significance and I sang it very loudly. 

My running got better on Citalopram too. And when the side effects were at their worse running helped to clear that foggy head feeling. 

Hopeing things get better 'ecky.  

Night all - Its good to be happy. 

12/01/2013 at 00:44

Just a taster from youtube

edit - video didn't work but this link might

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 00:47
12/01/2013 at 00:55

Just got home - 5am til almost 1am = sleepy solby 

I'm loving the thread at the moment, it's such a warm, supportive and positive place to be. You guys are ace!

SD I'm blown away by how incredibly well you managed re CBTing yourself

By eck sorry things are tough

*sleepy hugs to everyone*

I've been somewhere pretty germy today and tolerated it much better than I normally do. I've also been reminded how incredible my friends are. There's so much strength and goodness and love in people - I wonder how I managed not to see it for so many years. I thought the world was such a dark, scary place but I was wrong.

Anyway I have a little faffing to do then I'm off to bed. Hopefully I'll sleep in a bit tomorrow I have managed to skive out of going up to SOLBtitchysis' house for the second weekend running which is good cos I really, really want to sort some stuff out ready to work towards a stronger routine. I feel like I'm ready for that. Time to seize control of my life again now that the crisis has passed.

Aiming for a run tomorrow - motivation will probably be a bit wobbly so pom poms would be much appreciated.

Night all xxx 

12/01/2013 at 01:03

I'm up late watching darts.

Where on earth did you have to go so early Solb?

12/01/2013 at 01:18

Sounds a bit dull bear!  - I'm just writing an email then I'm pottering off to bed  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.