Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,801 to 4,820 of 6,055 messages
13/01/2013 at 13:13

I'm feeling really scared of going out for a run but I am going anyway. 

I remember being struck by what an incredible feat swimming the channel is when I saw all the little boats labelled on the map when we were tracking you doing the relay SCaz. 

*crosses her fingers for by eck too* 

13/01/2013 at 13:23

Just because people have been showing an interest, here's my blog.  I only started it at Christmas because people kept asking me questions and wanted to track my progress.  Feel free to leave any comments or suggest topics for the future.  It has absolutley nothing to do with mental health and is generally intended to be positive, although I will mention the lows when they happen.

http://channellingoptimism.blogspot.co.uk/

13/01/2013 at 14:14

I'm home  

VRC report 2 hilly miles done. Asthma a little unhappy but not too bad. 

Coaching advice needed, in terms of getting back to running decent distances again what's the best plan? Running every day or every other? Slower for longer or faster intervals with walk breaks? (I don't like walk run but I'm prepared to do it if it'll help get me on track faster) 

13/01/2013 at 14:22

I would suggest every other day Solb.  As you are aiming for a marathon I would go with the slow and steady distance method rather than speed.  You can start doing speed work once your mileage is up to a good distance.  Having said that, take walking breaks if you need them.  I still take walking breaks when doing 20 milers.

13/01/2013 at 14:35

I didn't take any walking breaks during the last lot of marathon training, it always felt like 'cheating' but with all the health complications I am more than happy with whatever I can achieve running wise - so long as I don't give up  

13/01/2013 at 14:50

Deffo concentrate on slow runs Solb. You need to build up endurance which the lower heart rate will do. You will automatically get quicker as your aerobic fitness improves and build up the distances slowly. Intervals are just for building up speed, so I wouldnt worry about them at the moment. I think someone once said on here (might have been Moraghan) that intervals and speed work shouldn't come into play until you can run 25 slow miles each week. You are risking injury otherwise. For my ironman training I'm doing 99% aerobic pace. I think 4 days running a week is optimum to begin with, you need time for recovery.  My plan will go up to 6 days a week but I'll be alternating the muscle groups with the biking and running. 

I'd love to live on a narrow boat on the canal. Now I've got used to caravan living I'm even more tempted to say sod the new house, lets buy a boat. 

13/01/2013 at 15:26

Another 'couldn't get out of the car' no run for me.  Getting fed up with it.  I do have a plan for tomorrow though.  In view of the expected snow I'll walk into run and take running gear with a view to running home on what should be fresh snow which I usually enjoy.  That way I've got to keep going to get home.

13/01/2013 at 15:46

Cunning plan LR

13/01/2013 at 15:52
As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University? We have forecast for snow tonight, but I bet it will.be just crappy sleet.
13/01/2013 at 15:55

Mr F - it is indeed that cunning and I was just about to say exactly that.  The worrying thing for you is you're obviously as sad a man as me.  

13/01/2013 at 16:14
Sorry for jumping in there LR. Just happens to be a favourite of mine, so id say that neither of us are sad!
Soup, id live on a boat but I think over time is miss the luxuries etc. Big tv, spacious hot shower etc!
13/01/2013 at 16:19

Yeah - I'm taking a negative view of it there.  I should say we both have very good taste.

13/01/2013 at 16:49
Boingy boingy boingy boingy boing
13/01/2013 at 17:37

Couldn't resist this picture. 

http://www.bestinseason.ie/files/2009/06/pic_turnip1.jpg

You done a run 'ecky? 

I've done my chores but not run or ridden.

13/01/2013 at 17:41
Why s there a picture of a Swede?
Yes, a run has been completed. About 9 moles apparently
13/01/2013 at 17:46

It's a turnip - and at least two of us will get the Blackadder theme if others are completely lost by it.

Well done on the run by 'eck - and for counting the moles whilst you were doing it.

13/01/2013 at 17:49
Well done on all the fab runs today (including Solb's asthma fighting 2 miles)
13/01/2013 at 17:51
Teehee. I get the blackadder reference, just that my family are Scottish so it's a Swede
13/01/2013 at 18:36

I didn't get the reference, I've only seen one or two Blackadder episodes though. 

*beams proudly* thanks by Eck - glad you are feeling so cheery after yours.

I can't stop sneezing but I have been for spotty hugs so all is well with the world 

13/01/2013 at 19:00
Ok, here's a bit of a challenge for us.
Add up the miles we have collectively run this weekend. Every bit helps!
By 'eck - 9 miles
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.