Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,901 to 4,920 of 6,029 messages
15/01/2013 at 22:03

Hi CJ

no, not a lot planned, i'm taking things a little at a time -

we are going to spectate and run to and fro at Gloucester 3 lap marathon on Sunday, and the were booked for Wokingham Hal Marathon Feb ?? it will be our 255 ?? HM

are u ok

15/01/2013 at 22:06

Mick - great to hear you're up and running again.  Hope you have some great races in 2013.

Hi RWTW - glad you decided to say hi.  Yes, there's certainly plenty of support to be found on here so you can certainly share any problems if you wish.  And cetainly feel free to join in the weekly team mileage count.  I'm not likely to do much this week as it's very icy round here so all support is welcome on that.  The problem with just getting out of the house is one that it's hard for other people to relate to.  People often talk about difficulties with motivation but a bad spell of depression creates a much tougher barrier to running that ordinary lack of motivation.

15/01/2013 at 22:25
Edited: 15/01/2013 at 22:26
15/01/2013 at 23:25

Welcome runwiththewind. I really sympathise on your anxiety. Are you taking any meds?

Mick - great to hear of you and Phil starting running again. Hope your recovery goes on to improve quickly. Phil must have missed his racing I'm sure. 

LR - you are so, so right about the battle with depression being so much more than the battle with motivation. Its something you can;t understand till you've been there I think. 

I'm determined to run tomorrow. I will report back.

Night all, just finishing my hot chocolate then off to bed. 

15/01/2013 at 23:39

Yes - although I meant in terms of depression making it much more difficult to run that just ordinary lack of motivaition.  That's how it is for me - but it looks like for you it's something that you could still do when depressed.  For me, it ranges from at worse, where there's no chance of running at all to varying degrees of how difficult it is to get out there.  As always, it's one of those things that's different for everybody.

16/01/2013 at 00:59

Hi all *waves enthusiastically* 

I've been feeling a bit frustrated today but I've had my sulk and I'm ready to fight on now  

16/01/2013 at 01:02

You've caught me staying up far too late so I must take that as a prompt to get off.  Big hugs for helping me out (((SOLB)))).  Hope you have a better one tomorrow.  It's certainly understandable that you're feeling frustrated.

16/01/2013 at 01:08

Aww LR I'm so glad it helped. Night night x

16/01/2013 at 06:54

LR - don't forget to order your tablets today.

Morning all. Freezing weather here and, the pipes to my caravan have frozen so no water. Must insulate them a bit better.  

16/01/2013 at 07:06
Eek I've got no hot water but I have chilly running water if you want some.

I'm still awake, spiteful OCD wouldn't let me sleep. On the plus side the house looks amazing and I've done some grouting and anti mould scrubbing. I felt sick when I saw how bad the mould was behind the spare bed ... it'll be loads better once there is a heater in there. I don't think it hit the mattress but I'm borrowing a carpet and upholstery shampooer just in case. Oh and I got bleach on my new super bright stripey PJs

I'm not going to sleep today I'll just stick it out and go to bed early. In a weird way it'll be helpful in resetting me sleep pattern. I do need to run this morning as soon as the electrician has left though otherwise I'll be too tired.

Hope everyone has a positive day
16/01/2013 at 07:17

Thanks for the reminder SD.

Hope your respective days get better than they've started.  Car in for MOT today so that means dropping the car off and a walk across town to work.

16/01/2013 at 08:11

Good luck LR car ... I'm always terrified when mine goes in

16/01/2013 at 08:33
Solb, do you want to borrow a heater?
Soupy, I know when the dog is a bit close because I come up with reasons why I can't run even tho I desperately want to get out there. I set myself small steps, like deciding on a route with a fun challenge/something mice to see, getting my running underwear on under my clothes so it doesnt take much to finish getting dressed, them putting outer clothes on, vefore doing shoes and jacket.
Sometimes even that doesnt work.
LR, bricki and everyone else, there's a huge pile of hugs and amassive pot of tea on the table
16/01/2013 at 09:17

Oo tea what an excellent idea! 

I put my running kit on with no commitment to actually go out there - once it's on I might procrastinate a bit but I rarely fail to run at all. 

I've just hung the washing out, freeeezing fingers now! 

16/01/2013 at 09:28
Solb, will it dry in this weather, or will it freeze and turn into ready ironed?
16/01/2013 at 09:41

It'll probably freeze but it'll smell like outside and I don't want it indoors until it's warmer tonight otherwise I'm feeding the damp unnecessarily. Theoretically cos there's less humidity when it's chilly it'll dry a bit (once it's thawed)

16/01/2013 at 09:51
I need to tidy up. The house elves have gone on holiday
16/01/2013 at 14:01

Phew -  four things done already

16/01/2013 at 14:39
Wow bear, share and inspire
16/01/2013 at 15:19
  • went to atos appointment
  • went to shops
  • cashed cheque
  • put in repeat prescription request
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.