Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

4,901 to 4,920 of 6,055 messages
14/01/2013 at 20:57

Just catching up with today's postings.  I reckon there's some medication been taken today - chatterbox pills.

Black cloud day for me really.  The rest of the week is looking like a long struggle ahead.   I did manage my walk into work.  Didn't feel up to running so walked home as well.  At least that's decent exercise - about 7 miles overall.  With the weather it might be difficult to do much more exercise this week as we're likely to be frozen up for a while.

14/01/2013 at 21:18
????????? New Post ?????????

The Dark and The Light
Day 34
Waiting For The Starters Gun

http://brickibarthez.tumblr.com/post/40541582787/day-34
14/01/2013 at 21:41
14/01/2013 at 23:22

(((LR))) Is the week looking like a struggle cos it's busy or because you are struggling a bit or both? Hang in there honey it'll get better. I smiled at the chatter box pills - I've virtual talked loads today! 

Good effort on the walk.

I'm planning to run another 2 miles tomorrow. I also have a meeting with Sally. We're going to have to talk about the social paranoia and stuff but I don't really want to now I think I'm over it. I want to know if she's made the referral to the Richmond Fellowship to talk about next steps - I have no reason to doubt the poor lady but I don't think she'll have done it. Mean Solb ... I shall report back on whether I was just being a cow or not tomorrow! 

Urgh I'm sudddenly really tired. Heading to bed before it gets too close to midnight. Night night all xxxx 

14/01/2013 at 23:29

Thanks, SOLB.  I just seemed to take a downturn when I didn't manage a run yesterday - along with the thought that I wouldn't be able to get out this week.  Being busy isn't the problem - if anything it helps and it's been quieter today - which didn't help.  So it's the thought of another 4 days like that - but of course they might not be like that.  Trouble is - when in a negative mood - I tend to think they might be even worse.

Likewise - must be off.  Night all.

15/01/2013 at 00:04

Ahh even those weirdy 'normals' sometimes skip or cut short a run honey, it wasn't a massive failing. Just one of those things. You'll get out on your next one or two and it'll be like it had never happened. I think that negative filter is very draining but so is the little bully on your shoulder telling you how terrible you are and how badly you've messed things up. The truth is you're making fantastic progress and holding down a job and running regularly - if you overlook your achievements and note the failures it's just not fair.How many runs have you achieved in the last month and how many did you not manage?  

I've messed up and the midnight rule wins again but I think it's OK cos I've battled ridiculously hard to keep the black mood at bay today and I've succeeded.

Be kind to yourself LR, the best advice I have ever been given is before condemning myself to think about what you would say to a friend in the same situation with the same difficulties and pressures ... it never is anywhere like as harsh as the stuff I angrily spit at myself.

Fight on LR, we're behind you every step of the way  

Right it's past midnight, I really am going to bed now xxx 

15/01/2013 at 07:38

Well, SOLB, you're definitely let off the midnight rule last night because you were coming up with those supportive words for me.  I'm feeling quite rough this morning but, having just read that, will keep those words in mind today to get my through today in better shape - and hopefully heading in the right direction again.

15/01/2013 at 07:59
Anyone who wants to come and watch kids tv with my offspring iz more than welcome
15/01/2013 at 08:14

As a one-off it does sound more appealling than a day at work - but I'm sure the appeal soon wears off.  Had a bad couple of days so haven't been joining in the words of support for you - so how are they today?

15/01/2013 at 08:28
Erm, moo is consuming everything apart from his milk and the really "healthy" stuff
His sister woke at 6:50 in the middle of a nosebleed. She managed to get blood everywhere, including on the walls (when looking for her lamp switch I suspect). I think the nosebleeds are caused by the pressure in her sinuses. Her bedding is in the wash, she is on the sofa and moo is playing nicely.
15/01/2013 at 08:32

Oh dear, well I've got to dash so will leave a day long hug and hope things go OK from here   ((((by 'eck))))

15/01/2013 at 08:35
I'm sorry I've been rubbish at supporting people on here. I sometimes find it hard to write stuff cos I know anyone could see it
15/01/2013 at 09:39

Morning. 

'ecky - you are not rubbish at all!  And we don't judge people on this thread anyway.Its just the nasty depression telling you lies, and I will send SCaz with one of her best stern looks at those thoughts to drive them away for you. 

I didn't run yesterday, and haven't excercised since Thursday. I'm feeling sluggish and a bit down now which I'm sure is no coincidence so I must try and get out today. Are we doing the points thing every Sunday or a continuous weekly tally? I suppose a daily tally up to Sunday then re-set on Monday might be more motivating.

I didn't like Les Mis.  It was well done and everything, but the film just didn't work for me. I prefer the intimacy of the live show for musicals. I hadn't realised it was a faithful take on the show, so had just music and no dialogue. Live music is just more emotional somehow but I suppose if you haven't seen the stage version it might come accross better. 

15/01/2013 at 09:51
Soupy, I've heard that about Les Mis (wish he wasn't so grumpy) from a couple of people. I don't think I'll be able to get a run in, but I might manage a walk tonight when Mr by eck gets home. Does anyone fancy joining me?
Solb, I've tied a special ginger biscuit to your bed post. It's filled with best wishes and sweet dreams. Plus it tastes really really good if you get night time munchies.
I called moo's dietitian to ask for advice. She isn't in the office today so I had to leave a message
15/01/2013 at 14:30
A friend has just contacted me to ask if I can help Mr by eck find his music head for tonight instead of the football head that he sometimes takes to a music rehearsal. Apparently there may be others there who may not understand/could be distracted. The friend knows Mr by eck has aspergers and bipolar and I think he understands how it affects the behaviour. We have had problems with drug mixups where he has been high and found it difficult to concentrate. How on earth do I tell my OH without creating a problem? I understand exactly where our friend is coming from as there are times I wish it were as simple as swapping heads!
15/01/2013 at 15:12

omg I am exhausted today, still - it was worth it

15/01/2013 at 15:28

oh by eck, as if you haven't got enough problems to deal with.  I've no idea what to suggest. 

I trust you had a good time Bear. Are you going to tell us about it? 

15/01/2013 at 15:46

I hope the dietitian can help by eck. 

My gut instinct is that while the friend has good intentions and the request is understandable it's misguided. The truth is both you and Mr By Eck wish it was as simple as swapping heads but it's not. I'd feel tempted to call the friend back and gently let them know that it isn't as simple as that. Although you could tell Mr by Eck that the friend has mentioned some members have already said they would like a focused evening and don't want too many distractions. So you aren't saying you've been asked to try to get him not to be distracting but you are still warning him that they might not be happy if there's lots of digression and silliness.  I don't think there's much more you can do. 

I don't think it was very fair of the friend to ask it of you. If I was the friend I'd endeavour to nicely ask Mr by Eck to focus during the practice if need be and to accept that the other people need to be responsible for their own concentration too!

Sally hadn't made the referral to the Richmond Fellowship. It was a bit of a waste of time going to see her  

15/01/2013 at 16:56
Oh dear Solb. But did you share with sally all you have achieved?
I think I was asked because the friend knows that sometimes he and Mr by eck.don't understand each other very well and he didn't want to say the wrong thing. The other people there do try hard to concentrate but Mr by eck can be very distracting.... You have met him Solb, and that was a very very good day
Miss by eck may be at school tomorrow
15/01/2013 at 17:00
Oooooo, bear, were you cutting up bodies again?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.