Mental illness and running

I wanted a place where we could get advice and support.

5,081 to 5,100 of 6,031 messages
21/01/2013 at 19:20

Thanks for the comments regarding my blog, all very encouraging!

It's interesting to read that others have been writing things down to help deal with problems and also interesting that there was worry others would see what was written.

I'm worried about this too as my parents, brother and quite a few friends and colleagues have no idea about my issues, so they haven't read my blog. I will tell them one day as I know how liberated I feel when I've told others, but my mum worries too much as it is!

Not sure when I'll run again as the pavements and roads are very dodgy, so I hit the turbo trainer again this evening which did the trick.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

21/01/2013 at 19:28

Not heard from Solb today, but I tend to mainly talk to people in the evening.  I did hear from her yesterday though.

There seem to be a lot of quiet people at the moment.  I hope they are all ok.  I just wanted to let them know that I had noticed their absence.

21/01/2013 at 20:38

CTP - it's been a major issue with me as to who to tell about my issues.  I've not told any family at all and am wary of doing so - partly because of the worry issue being much the same as with you.  I'm also wary of management at work finding out as well.  I suppose because of that, there are probably some things I don't say on here - but I'll come out with most things because the support I get back is worth taking the chance for.  It's more where things involve other people that I think it's sometimes not fair to put stuff on about them.  So I think it's just a case of using a bit of common sense and discretion at times.

Weather forecast shows a thaw come the weekend.  Just means another frustrating week in the meantime.  Had my walk into work today as an alternative to a run.

21/01/2013 at 20:50

CTP and LR - same. My family do not know and I'm not sure if i would ever tell them. Both my parents are doctors and this has stopped me going to a gp. I have had help through confidential support places which has been good...but I just can't tell GP/parents. Even though it would b confidential me telling a GP, it would inevitably get back to my parents somehow..and further more if I had gone to a GP for help I would have had to declare it to my new work, which I just can't do. It's tricky enough starting out in a big company, especially as a woman when it's male dominated, but add in the depression and I fear I would be hindered right from the off. Its a shame, but until peoples (especially work place) attitudes change towards mental illness, there will always be caution when employing people with one. I don't feel having had problems has in any way affected my working ability - if anything I focus more on work and work harder than colleages as it's a distraction...but public perception is still, sadly, that having had mental health issues, this makes me 'weaker'....*sigh*

I hope all those who are struggling are ok. You have a lot of support here so just stay strong. 

21/01/2013 at 21:02

Solb has reported in.  She's feeling a bit withdrawn which is why she hasn't been around

21/01/2013 at 21:04
I am drinking peppermint tea
21/01/2013 at 21:06

I've just finished peppermint tea

21/01/2013 at 21:07

For me, going to my GP happened when I got to a point that I just couldn't cope anymore. My main concern about going onto anti-depressants were possible side effects - more of a concern if I'm taking them without other people knowing.  As it turns out, I've been OK there.  I do feel I need more help though and have another appointment due soon - but my concern there is that I cannot just disappear off work at odd times for appointments without an explanation.

I often think I should speak up at work - because if people don't then how will attitudes ever change.  Trouble is for us - we know our livelihood is at stake. 

So I would say that if you really have to do something - make it the GP, take the chance and don't declare it at work.  You have to decide what's best - there are options - just all of them are tough ones.

21/01/2013 at 21:09

Must have my bedtime herbal tea tonight - instead of alcohol.  I need a night's sleep which leaves me feeling less rough in the morning.  Not that my intake is excessive - but mornings are a problem right now so I've got to do everything I can.

21/01/2013 at 21:11

speedy get well wishes to Solb. 

I'm drinking Beck's Blue alcohol-free stuff.

Hotel room extended to the weekend if we need it. I thought about moving him to closer home but its a 3 hour drive and I don't want to jeopardise his recovery. They seem to have a good plan for him in Exeter so its best for him if he stays there till they think he is fit for travel. I'll phone work tomorrow and take unpaid leave if I have to. 

21/01/2013 at 22:08

Get well Solb

Glad to hear you have a plan Soupy, travelling in this weather is not great so another day or so may make the homeward journey nicer.

(()) to those that want.

21/01/2013 at 22:18

Actually CJ, there is no snow here and the weather is even quite mild!   

21/01/2013 at 22:23
*packs her bags and heads of to join soupy*
Purely to support you of course
21/01/2013 at 22:36

Ooh - you have runnable non-icy paths!  Should have kept quiet - there'll be a mass exodus that way.

Being sensible and off to bed now with my herbal tea. 

Night all. xx

22/01/2013 at 09:03

Unpack your bags by'eck. Hail stoning this morning.  

22/01/2013 at 11:43

I run/own the UK's largest independent site on anxiety and panic. I also wrote a book on my own recovery, the book has fantastic feedback on Amazon etc. If anyone on here wants a free pdf copy then they are welcome. Running was a part of my recovery for many reasons and it would be nice to give something back.

22/01/2013 at 11:57

I phoned work who have been very understanding so I'm staying put. 

Paul - that is a very kind offer, thank you. Its reassuring that recovery is possible and even more so that running helped. I will pm you my email if I may. I've just looked at your website and relate to the constant thoughts buzzing around in my head. My CBT course also told me not to try and stop thinking about them, because that just brought them to the fore all the more (try think of a polar bear then stop yourself thinking of it, and you imagine the polar bear all the more). But its easier said than done. 

22/01/2013 at 12:47

I'm lurking

22/01/2013 at 14:32

It is easier said than done Soup

I teach more to to with 'It's ok to think this way' as what we resist persists, it took a while and plenty of ups and downs for me to get where I am today. I never try and simplify it, I had a lot of ups and downs, but I refused to believe I could be me again and left no stone unturned to try and find 'ME' again.

If you know the site then feel free to send me an email and if you want to read my story ill pass on a free pdf

Thank you also for this thread and all that contribute, it's time to change attitudes and beliefs and that starts with people no longer keeping it to themselves and not been ashamed to say how they feel.

22/01/2013 at 16:27

paul - it's always so inspiring to hear other people's stories

On this line of promoting more positive attitudes towards mental health...my friend has set up a charity of raising awareness of depression. Its called 'the black dog exisits' and she has a great blog about it if anyone is interested.

Hope people are having a good day. Chin up and stay strong (I currently have a hot chocolate beside me so the world seems a better place) 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.